NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   What do you do (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/1482-what-do-you-do.html)

Riva 09-23-2006 08:48 PM

What do you do

What do you do with the meds your not using?

I was cleaning out my closet and I have found alot of meds I am not using

What do you do with them?

Riva

jingle 09-23-2006 09:15 PM

I always took my "old" meds (the ones I was no longer using because of med change or something) to an appointment with my previous neuro and just left them on his desk. He never said a word about them and neither did I.

Rocking4Epilepsy 09-23-2006 09:39 PM

Most pharmacies will take them and dispose of them in a safe place.
I suggest you bring them to the pharmacy...

This is the safest thing to do instead of taking a chance throwing them away and having someone find them.

hugs

Julie 09-24-2006 04:04 PM

I agree taking them to the pharmacy. There are so many drugs in our streams and rivers from flushing and the like.

howdydave 09-25-2006 12:37 AM

I flush 'em!

Riva 09-25-2006 08:12 PM

Jingle I am going to do what you do, I did that before. I will drop them off by my drs office.

((hugs))
Riva

lor 09-26-2006 07:34 AM

Riva's a pretty smart cookie (I think you know what I mean, fourstar ;) ). Anyway, I have LOTS of meds I never even wanted. I take Zonegran & my insurance will only let us get perscriptions filled thru this one company online. Several months ago I refilled it & for the 1st time ever, they sent me the generic form (Zonisamide) saying they were out of Zonegran. So I simply took that. A little later I went to Dr. & while there I asked if Zonsimide was as good as Zonegran & he said no. My E isn't bad so I thought I'd finish the Zonisamide then order Zonegran & thats that. Awhile ago I noticed I will run out of Zonisamide just before my next Dr appt so I called to get a new prescription for Zonegran. Yesterday I recieved a package of Zonisamide from that company. I don't know what happened. All I can think is that the Dr office got ahold of them & ordered it. BTW: The office/Dr mailed me a Dr prescription for Zonegran

Birdbomb 09-26-2006 12:32 PM

If you return medication unused, it will be disposed of. Remember the Tylenol tampering some years ago? No one wants a repeat of that.

Flushing them down the toilet is the fastest and safest way of disposal. And don't stop at unused medication, check the expiration date of OTC medication. Get rid of the old stuff, the composition changes with age. You can get very ill, just ask R4E!
:eek:

Ellie 09-26-2006 01:46 PM

This is gross, but I dump my old coffee grinds and ashes/cigarettes from guests into a can. I put my old pills there and throw them away. I figure nothing 'normal' would want to eat something with coffee grinds and cigarettes in it, so they shouldn't find and eat the pills (I didn't want an animal to eat them).

cals1 09-26-2006 02:49 PM

leave them in the cupboard for months than take them back to the chemist:)

hi riva take a look at anthonys pic has he got big:)

carol