NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Twitching eyelid (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/148360-twitching-eyelid.html)

PatriciaQ 04-12-2011 02:36 PM

Twitching eyelid

having twitching and have had it befor. when I was 1st dx but the thing is, is their anything I can do to help it not be as bad or go away cause its getting to the point were its annoying and just want it to stop.

if anyone has advice that would be :)

DX - 4YEARS
AVONEX - 1 WEEK

Riverwild 04-12-2011 04:25 PM

I was "twitcher" for a few years. It IS annoying!

There were times it would be twitching and not visible but you could feel it under the skin like an electrical current. Mine was always on the right side of my face, but they could pop up anywhere, one muscle fiber just twitching away, almost looked like something alien was trying to get out when it was my leg or abdominal area.

I used to put fingertip pressure on the twitch, usually on my eyelid, my undereye area, my cheek or my upper or lower lip. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Applying ice to the area for a few minutes worked for me too, when it was particularly bad. Occasionally the facial twitching would spasm and make my face twist up on that side, which was kind of funny when you looked at it clinically (I called it the 'Elvis look'), but annoying as all get out. I would use an ice pack for a few minutes and it would calm down. It's said to fool the nerve or something.

Doc said heat and stress make it worse, and called it 'fasciculations'...realllllly? :rolleyes:

I haven't twitched in a few years and I don't miss it at ALL!
Hope this helps, I truly feel for you on this one!

Kitty 04-12-2011 05:20 PM

I used to get this. I asked my Neuro about it and he said the same thing, River. Stress. I said I wasn't really stressed about anything. Well, except my eye twitching! :rolleyes: As hard as it was to do I just quit thinking about it. Ignored it. After a few days I realized that it had stopped. I don't know how long it had stopped before I noticed because I quit paying attention to it. I hope yours goes away soon! :hug:

SallyC 04-12-2011 07:14 PM

Hi Brat..:):hug: I hate when that happened:mad:. I'm with Kitty, Ignore it as much as possible. Mine hasn't been back for awhile....or maybe I've gotten good at ignoring it..:rolleyes::D

What chu been up to?:hug:

dmplaura 04-12-2011 08:37 PM

Mine twitches off and on.. if I'm stressed (as others mentioned), in poor light, looking at a computer/television/anything digital or electronic display for too long.

Make sure you get as much sleep as possible. I find that getting around 7-8 hours a night keeps mine at bay, but if I go 5-6 hours the twitching will inevitably come back.

debw 04-13-2011 04:02 PM

Does the Neuro say this is MS thing? My right eye twitches a lot, was never sure why. My right eye is the one that doesn't seem to open as wide that my co-worker noticed one day. Caused me to go to Dr. and have my first brain MRI, and found lesions. Interesting.....

karilann 04-17-2011 11:54 AM

Twitching

I went through this non-stop for about a month!
Doc said you see it a lot in Med students and college students who cram for exams and such......basically stress and sleep related.
I think its MS related and just a funky electrical mis-fire that needs a little nudge to stop!

What stopped it for me was Ativan. So there ya go......had to calm my nervous system down a notch.:hug: