NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS Stem Cell Treatment (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/148974-ms-stem-cell-treatment.html)

CarmelTurner 04-22-2011 10:21 PM

MS Stem Cell Treatment

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

My name is Carmel Turner. I was the first female in australia to have AHSCT Beam conditioning treatment for Multiple Sclerosis., this treatment is currently available in Australia. There is a lot of scams around MS stem cell treatments that i would like to help others to avoid. I also would like to help others to talk to thier neurologist as equals rather than be spoken to as a child.

If you have any questions please post and i will come back and answer them to the best of my ability.

Carmel Turner

Aarcyn 04-23-2011 12:14 AM

I do not know anything about this...can you explain a little more and say how you are feeling?

CarmelTurner 04-23-2011 01:56 AM

MS Stem Cell treatment

thanks for bearing with me Aarcyn*

**edit

My name is carmel turner i have received AHSCT treatment for MS. This procedure is covered under medicare (my total costs were $800). It involves chemo therapy to totally destroy the immunity system and from previously harvested stem cells....regrow your new bone marrow from scratch. In doing this my immunity system was effectively rebooted. As you can imagine the treatment was very intense. This is nothing like the procedure that you get from scam operators in europe/china/south America

I can though say that before treatment i was constantly declining from a very aggressive form of MS. I was only diagnosed for 3 years and was already in a wheel chair after having an attack every 6 weeks until treatment. Since november last year i have not had one attack. I no longer in pain 24/7. I no longer have any issue with heat. I was unable to take one step without holding onto a four wheeler walker , i now can walk about 1km without aid. even if it is a slow stumble it is still brings me to tears just to walk with my daughter to the local park.

**edit

Carmel turner*

kicker 04-23-2011 05:38 AM

This sounds like Hy/Cy which the do/did at Johns Hopkins in Maryland. Red Penguins had it. Is it? I don't know. I don't know if Stem CDells were part of it.

kicker 04-23-2011 06:21 AM

Ave8ergirl was Clinical Trialing Revimmune but I do not think it was successful for her. Dr Douglas Kerr was active in HY/Cy at Johns Hopkins and Revimmune but he is no longer at JH. Last I could find was a newspaper article on HY/CY at JH by Dr. Kaplan from 2009, but I have no idea of anything afterwards. Hy/Cy is a really hard one, the Chemo makes you sick, can make all your hair fall out and lower your immune system. I'm not sure there were consistent, long lasting results. I'm always hopeful about MS treatments but not very convinced, but PPMS seems very different from RR and not receptive to treatments. I tried Novantrone (another chemo) but all it did was make me throw up.

SallyC 04-23-2011 01:02 PM

Congrats, Carmel, I hope you keep improving. Please keep us informed..:hug:

Where is Red Penguin? I wish she'd check in and let us know how she's doing. Haven't heard from her since her new baby was born.

I hope no news is good news.:hug:

kicker 04-23-2011 04:35 PM

Babies do take your time. Mine is 19 qnd home for Easter. Food, towels and other needs are constant. I'm getting tired, I'd forgotten how kids around was like. He brought other ones here too!

jacksonsmommy 04-24-2011 07:35 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

After seeing my sister go through chemo for leukemia it would take a lot of convincing to get me to do it!

Judy2 04-25-2011 06:39 AM

:eek:All those chemo drugs are pretty scary....I agree. Just two and a half doses of Novantrone was enough for me-- major flu-like symptoms, nausea, shakes, etc. plus just seeing that blue stuff going into my arm was really freaky. I too, would need some more positive proof before trying something like that again. I hope you're still experiencing those "miracle" results!:hug:

4-eyes 04-26-2011 09:13 AM

Well, in my case, the myasthenia symptoms had become relentless, and my quality of life was approaching zero, despite using several heavy hitting drugs. The chemo was a walk in the park compared to the constant MG (and I had a tough time with chemo, including complications).

I had 6 weeks of pretty much feeling like poo, and then...blessed relief from all that had ailed me. I'm almost 6 mos out now, and am leading a pretty much normal life. Worth every twinge of nausea I felt!

I'm currently emailing with a woman who had a SCT for MS a couple of months ago, and she's now past the "feeling like poo" stage. She's out and about and caring for her small sons again. It's really amazing.