NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Newly diagnosed and delaying meds for as long as possible. (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/149052-newly-diagnosed-delaying-meds.html)

ladybird 04-24-2011 05:12 PM

Newly diagnosed and delaying meds for as long as possible.

Hello. I am 58, female and live in scotland. I was diagnosed with Parkinsons two months ago, and I am endeavouring to stay as long as I can on a non- medication regime. I am interested in hearing from anyone else who is trying to do this, and any tips they might have. Is there any one who has done this for a number of years? If so, how is the disease progressing? I realise that each individual is different, and that the progression of the disease is different in each person too. I count myself fortunate that my neurologist advised me not to go on to medication for as long as possible. He said it was like ' the king's clothing' in his eyes. I realise from being on another forum that he was unusual in his views. I am not saying that I will never take medication, but I feel that it might be beneficial to hold off while I can. I am interested in everyone's views. I know they will differ wildly.
Kind regards, ladybird.

Darlene 04-24-2011 11:57 PM

Hello & Welcome

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. Just let us know if we can be of any help. Check into the the following forum for some assistance:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum34.html

There are great and caring fellow members here to assist you. Our shouders are here for support in many ways. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene :hug:

MelodyL 04-27-2011 09:00 PM

H Ladybird.

I LOVE your name. The only other Ladybird that I have ever heard of was Ladybird Johnson.

You have a good attitude. I have a friend Vicki, who A LONG TIME AGO, was diagnosed with Parkinsons. A very mild case. She was in her 50s at the time. She was not on any meds for a long time. A very long time.

She did go on meds eventually and she's doing great. But in her case, and it was her choice, she felt she didn't need to take them and she didn't.

So I wish you well on your journey.

Take care and Welcome to Neurotalks!!!

NurseNancy 04-29-2011 12:16 PM

hello and welcome to NT.

i have MS and can't answer your Q, but i wanted to welcome you to the board.
there is a forum for parkinsons. i hope you get your Q's answered there.

Gramma 04-29-2011 12:53 PM

Hi Ladybird,

Let me welcome you too. We newbies should support each other.:)

I'm sorry about your Parkinson's diagnosis. It must be difficult to know what to do next. I don't blame you for wanting to delay meds for as long as possible.

I hope you will find all the information and support you need here.

Hugs,
Gramma

ladybird 04-29-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 765901)
H Ladybird.

I LOVE your name. The only other Ladybird that I have ever heard of was Ladybird Johnson.

You have a good attitude. I have a friend Vicki, who A LONG TIME AGO, was diagnosed with Parkinsons. A very mild case. She was in her 50s at the time. She was not on any meds for a long time. A very long time.

She did go on meds eventually and she's doing great. But in her case, and it was her choice, she felt she didn't need to take them and she didn't.

So I wish you well on your journey.

Take care and Welcome to Neurotalks!!!

Thank you so much for your post, MelodyL. That is really encouraging. Is it possible that you could find out what the length of time was between diagnosis and and going on meds? Sorry to be a pest! It's just that I haven't met anybody else yet who was in that position. :hug::hug: Ladybird

ladybird 04-29-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 766336)
hello and welcome to NT.

i have MS and can't answer your Q, but i wanted to welcome you to the board.
there is a forum for parkinsons. i hope you get your Q's answered there.

Thank you for your kind reply and welcome nurse Nancy. I hope to meeet you again around the forum. Kind regards, Ladybird.

ladybird 04-29-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramma (Post 766344)
Hi Ladybird,

Let me welcome you too. We newbies should support each other.:)

I'm sorry about your Parkinson's diagnosis. It must be difficult to know what to do next. I don't blame you for wanting to delay meds for as long as possible.

I hope you will find all the information and support you need here.

Hugs,
Gramma

Thank you for your welcome my fellow newbie! I hope you find the magnesium helps, there must be something to it as MelodyL recommended it too! Let me know how you get on. Take care, Ladybird.

MelodyL 04-29-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybird (Post 766388)
Thank you so much for your post, MelodyL. That is really encouraging. Is it possible that you could find out what the length of time was between diagnosis and and going on meds? Sorry to be a pest! It's just that I haven't met anybody else yet who was in that position. :hug::hug: Ladybird

You're not a pest, don't even think of it. She was not on meds for about 4 years and then she started taking them. I haven't seen her for a while. But I do remember saying to a mutual friend, "wow, she doesn't take anything for her Parkinsons, that's amazing!!"

Some things stick in your mind and that's one of the things I remember saying to another person.

But I will see if I still have her phone number and I'll ring her up and see how she is doing. It's been a while. I don't even know if I still have her phone number.

She's in her 70's now but I remember distinctly that she functioned very well. It was not noticeable at all, and even after years, I think she only had it in her pinky.

But if I AM able to get any info I'll be sure to update here.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but I can tell you one thing. She was doing very well, either off meds or on meds. She took care of her husband and she had 3 beautiful baby grandsons and she would carry them around and she was an excellent grandmother.

I realize that no two cases are the same. She always said "I have a mild case"

Here's hoping you have also.

Take care,

pabb 05-04-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyL (Post 766413)
You're not a pest, don't even think of it. She was not on meds for about 4 years and then she started taking them. I haven't seen her for a while. But I do remember saying to a mutual friend, "wow, she doesn't take anything for her Parkinsons, that's amazing!!"

Some things stick in your mind and that's one of the things I remember saying to another person.

But I will see if I still have her phone number and I'll ring her up and see how she is doing. It's been a while. I don't even know if I still have her phone number.

She's in her 70's now but I remember distinctly that she functioned very well. It was not noticeable at all, and even after years, I think she only had it in her pinky.

But if I AM able to get any info I'll be sure to update here.

I'm sorry I can't be more help but I can tell you one thing. She was doing very well, either off meds or on meds. She took care of her husband and she had 3 beautiful baby grandsons and she would carry them around and she was an excellent grandmother.

I realize that no two cases are the same. She always said "I have a mild case"

Here's hoping you have also.

Take care,

Please do check out the parkinson's forum, check with "mrsd" she may have suggestions on supplements and vitamins