NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Prickly tongue, trigger allergic reaction, MS, or both? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/149107-prickly-tongue-trigger-allergic-reaction-ms.html)

dmplaura 04-25-2011 07:01 PM

Prickly tongue, trigger allergic reaction, MS, or both?

I felt 'off' last week, and going into my weekend, I was feeling the stress from the previous week, which always means a bit of a flare up of the MS sensory crap.

Sunday, I went to have coffee. While sitting at the store, in come 2 elderly men, well dressed, etc. I figure they'd been to church, or a family event, seeing as how it was Easter Sunday.

They sat down at the table beside me, and literally stunk of cologne. Like, bathed in it.

Now I can tolerate many scents, even small doses of the most floral perfume, or aromatic (over the top) cologne, but this was unreal. It was like a cloud was going to swallow me.

I left about 10-15 min after they arrived, and about 2 hours later, and for the rest of the day, my tongue felt as though I'd licked a thistle weed/plant. It only abated after a night's sleep.

I know the cologne triggered it, but my gosh. Was this allergy, MS, or what? I've never had such a reaction ... has anyone experienced anything similar?

Just glad the sensation went away.

wkikta 04-27-2011 09:20 AM

It was probably a 'normal' reaction to a significant irritant. People who think more is better.:rolleyes: If it had continued after a nights sleep, then I would be concerned

Kitty 04-27-2011 10:02 AM

Especially if you weren't used to being assaulted with such powerful scents on a daily basis.....this probably was just too much for your system to process.

I hate it when I get next to someone who uses too much cologne or perfume. It's overwhelming and takes me a good bit of time to recover from it.

Hope you're feeling better. :hug:

SallyC 04-27-2011 12:25 PM

Poor Baby..:hug:

What ever happened to a little slap of Old Spice? Yummmmmmm:p

karilann 04-27-2011 01:22 PM

P.U.!

My Neuro's office has big signs stating "no cologne zone". They send a notice prior to your appointments too telling you to leave the scents at home!
I think these things can trigger migraines too.

barb02 04-27-2011 01:48 PM

My neuro's office has the same sign. He said that cologne's often are a trigger for migraines.

Kitty 04-27-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 765817)
Poor Baby..:hug:

What ever happened to a little slap of Old Spice? Yummmmmmm:p

I think some people use perfume or cologne as a substitution for bathing. :rolleyes:

dmplaura 04-27-2011 07:41 PM

Thanks folks, the tongue oddity went away and hasn't returned, wish I could say the same about the rest of the MS crud. Stressful week this week as well at work. :rolleyes:

SallyC 04-27-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 765842)
I think some people use perfume or cologne as a substitution for bathing. :rolleyes:

EEEwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!:eek: I'd rather just smell good old body odor.