NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Firefox Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/149355-firefox-question.html)

Kitty 04-30-2011 08:24 AM

Firefox Question

Do I have to upgrade to Firefox 4 or can I keep the version I have now (Firefox 3, I think)? I've seen FF 4 and don't like it. I'm fine with the version I have now. Just wondering if it's mandatory I change or should I for security reasons?

mrsD 04-30-2011 09:03 AM

We have Firefox 4 and it just updated to 4.1 last night.

I like it better than 3... 3 was taking FOREVER to load up from a boot. It was driving me crazy.

The only thing I see so far with 4... is that sometimes if you close a tab the whole series goes! But that doesn't happen all the time. Maybe it is ME...

It only took one day for me to get used to it. I think it is better overall. The "home" icon moved, and also the refresh, but overall I think it is much faster.

There is a bar along the bottom now where the other icons went (for us it is only one)... That was hubby's download helper thingy.

Jomar 04-30-2011 12:57 PM

I'm staying with 3.6.16 for now as FF4 doesn't support our Zone Alarm Extreme's Browser protection, hopefully they will get that fixed soon.

FF4 is very customizable if I recall, I only tried it a short time and dh or ds picked up a pesky little bug so i went back to the old version for the extra ZA protection.

you should be OK kitty, security wise and they may make some changes to FF4 due to input from users.

Kitty 04-30-2011 01:49 PM

I downloaded it. Not much different than the prior one but I did notice the "home" icon moved.

Chemar 04-30-2011 04:36 PM

I am finding FF4 much faster and better to use than the 3 versions!

seems to be ok with my MS Security so far

mrsD 04-30-2011 05:12 PM

Yes, it IS much much faster. Opening and closing.

My start up was so messed up before on 3. No longer!

Jomar 04-30-2011 06:33 PM

I've done the "how to speed up FF"" stuff for the last couple years.
It's fairly simple to do when you find a good article or post step by step, but there is a risk & a warning before going forward to do it.

I always back up my profile and always have a second browser to use just in case it messes up and I have to re install it.

I do set all my browsers to clean out cache & cookies when I close it, except for the special ones that I add to the exceptions section.

freebird 05-17-2011 11:13 AM

It takes a little getting used to, but I love the latest Firefox. And I too have noticed that they made it even faster. IE eats FF's dust!

scage 06-07-2011 04:50 PM

you always have to keep all of your programs and windows up to date for secuirty reason's and ofcourse it always gets better than old version's and worthy to download , coz they keep fixing the problems that the people compalin about devlopin it ..

but why you're using FF ? it sucks rly..

give opera a try and you gonan thank me :) it's so freakin fast nd cooler ^^

Peter B 06-09-2011 03:28 AM

I've been going from IE to Firefox and back again as I get annoyed by one of them.
I have favoured FF of late because it was faster and opened a group more easily.
But FF bugs me as it doesn't open PDF's easily, and it usually won't play web videos.
IE does both, and I've now upgraded to IE9, which looks really good, so i'll stay on that and see how it goes.
FF also had lots of bugs and faulty versions; as well you needed quite a few add-ons, which can cause problems.
IE seems to be better quality deep down.