NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Cow myelin ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/149584-cow-myelin.html)

legzzalot 05-04-2011 12:55 PM

Cow myelin ?

Has anyone tried this? It is a capsule made fomr bovine myelin that is supposed to act as an antigen to fight off the T cells that destroy myelin.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this. It came out years ago but then the mad cow disease scare hit and I don;t know ifit ever made it to clinical trals. I was asking because I stumbled acrossed an article about it and it is available form canada.

Heck at this point, I would live inside of a cow if it stopped the stupid MS.

Dejibo 05-04-2011 05:13 PM

I have taken cholostrum, but never mylin. I would love to see more studies.

viseeu 05-05-2011 02:24 PM

never heard of this Legz... I started taking new life colostrum about a year after my diagnosis & took it regularly for several years--helped me with energy and other things, but cow myelin? interesting. will have to google that one :cool:

legzzalot 05-06-2011 08:09 AM

I did a little research on this. One of the brand names is Sphingolin. It is a mixture of bovine myelin (Basic Myelin Protien from spinal cord) and vitamin c. I wasn't suprised to see several companies marketing this. In the US, it is considered a supplement and therefor not subject to the strict FDA rules as a drug.

My thoughts:
I would think that bovine myelin or the stem cell builder or even the protien may be a very good thing to study. However, in my opinion, I do not think it would do much good to take it orally because I believe our stomach acids will destroy it. I do not think enough would be absorbed into the blood stream to make a significant difference. I think there could be a much better option of spinal injections of this myelin protien to see if it works, it would solve a great stem cell debate if it does work.

However, at $30 a bottle, I think it could be worth a try. I will talk to my neuro before I try it just to get her thoughts. One perk to being me is that I know I have a set of MRIs scheduled at least every 6 months, so this is something I could study on my own.

PolarExpress 05-08-2011 11:43 AM

I haven't seen any (haven't looked) yet...But, heck ya. Why not try cow myelin? After injecting Chinese Hamster Ovaries, cow myelin seems pretty tame. :D
Moooo!

Erin524 05-08-2011 12:46 PM

I dont think I'd want to ingest cow myelin, not after all the stuff about Mad Cow disease in the news about 10yrs ago.

EddieF 05-08-2011 07:17 PM

Sphingolin returned a few interesting hits. I'll try it. My nephew's non-verbal autistic since dpt? shot and autism's also mentioned in article.
Thanks Legz

EDIT - Just ordered it from Amazon. $32 delivered 240ct, 200mg