NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Benzos anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/149784-benzos.html)

karilann 05-07-2011 02:15 PM

Benzos anyone?

How many of us have to take some sort of anti anxiety med?
Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax, valium etc?
Wonder how MSers stack up to the general population as far as needing these kinds of drugs.

I used to take Paxil then I was given Celexa to counter-balance some anxiety and I take Ativan as needed.
Guess in a way I am hoping its because of the MS.....
I never had issues until I started feeling "off balance while driving......then I started getting paranoid about driving which just made things worse. I fought it for about 13 years. Finally gave up and accepted some medicinal help........sigh........to this day it still bugs me that I could not beat it on my own.

Dejibo 05-07-2011 02:22 PM

I take Xanax at night, because when I lay down I get that awful hug, and before I knew what it was I used to have panic about it. Felt like I couldnt get my breathe, and the room was closing in. Also I get sensory overload and that was mistakenly dx as anxiety attacks, when in fact its an MS sx.

I was recently asked to switch over to clonapine for the MS hug to see if I would have more long lasting results. As it is I wake in the early AM with the hug, and get it often thru the day. I have yet to take the first one yet.

MDs in the past have been amazed that I am able to walk away from xanax when the hug stopped or the flare passed and the sensory overload stopped. Several thought me drug seeking, and I asked if I was drug seeking, wouldnt I want MORE of the drug, and not be looking to get away from it?

clarkstar 05-07-2011 03:15 PM

i have a script for xanax, i only take it when i feel agitated or anxious. i got it after my ms diagnosis i was overwhelmed with stress and anxiety

dmplaura 05-07-2011 07:21 PM

I take an extremely low dose of klonopin for pain symptoms, but the nice side benefit of being anti-anxiety is a huge help for me, as I was extremely anxious/paranoid before beginning the medication (runs in the family).

Snoopy 05-07-2011 08:42 PM

I use Klonopin.

I have an anxiety disorder and panic attacks but none of it is related to MS.

Klonopin has been helpful for some of my MS symptoms.

Mariel 05-09-2011 03:26 AM

Klonopin is needed by me. I "jerk" at night (myoclonus or something like that) in the lower back and sometimes legs. Also, like Dejibo, I sometimes get the MS hug, especially if I take Interferon, the chemo for Polycythemia Vera. Klonopin is a very benign drug for me,
and that's saying a lot, since I have lots of drug reactions. I could not tolerate some of the other Benzos, but have not tried Ativan.