NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Magnesium and constipation? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/150225-magnesium-constipation.html)

poochie 05-14-2011 11:12 PM

Magnesium and constipation?

Has anyone tried magnesium for constipation, if so what dose do you take. Thanks:):)

Dejibo 05-15-2011 06:32 AM

i take phillips MOM tablets. I take 2 each night on a regular basis, and up to 4 if I am getting backed up. I also take a stool softener like colace that has a senna laxative in it. Very gentle way to keep the workers moving. its easy for me to get stopped up, as I have a gastro issue where my tummy doesnt want to move, so I like magnesium as my drug of choice.

tkrik 05-15-2011 09:19 AM

I haven't tried it but I know many people take magnesium for it's laxative effect. Apparently, magnesium oxide has the most laxative effect.

I try to deal with it naturally. I have found that canned pears help me the most. I am not sure why but it works for me.

Mariel 05-15-2011 10:56 AM

I can vouch for both canned pears and magnesium. I have not had the neurological
constipation for a long long time, because I take magnesium, not the laxative form, but
as a supplement. A neurologist told me to take it for spasm and jerks many years ago when I could not tolerate Baclofen or the other usual one. I have to take about 900-1000
to keep spasm and jerks in line, and a side effect is no more constipation.

i read here on the MS forum about pears many years ago, and I gave them daily to my
husband, who was wheelchair bound and likely to get constipated. It worked for him too.
On that rare occasion when I myself get constipated (once a year or so) I use canned pears.

When I was younger and chronically constipated I used the senna tablets. But i don't need them now.

Snoopy 05-15-2011 01:42 PM

I have dealt with problems of constipation from a very early age --- as an infant. By the time I was 2 years old I had surgery to remove 3 feet of intestines.

Since I have dealt with constipation for most of my life I don't necessarily consider it part of my MS, although it is possible.

Well, this ended up being a roundabout way of saying yes, I use 500mg Magnesium to regulate my bowels along with metamucil and fish oil. For constipation I do feel Magnesium works quite well. I use Magnesium alone, not a Magnesium/Calcium as I have found calcium supplements causes constipation...for me.

carebear01 05-15-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poochie (Post 770513)
Has anyone tried magnesium for constipation, if so what dose do you take. Thanks:):)

I get constipated all the time...say at least 4-5 times a month. Nobody has ever said anything to me about magnesium! I'm going to start this this week. As for the pears, they are loaded with fiber just like apples. ;)

Mariel 05-15-2011 10:15 PM

Snoopy, I take my mag separate from Calcium. I take my mag with lunch and dinner,
and calcium between meals, whenever I remember between lunch and dinner, dinner and bedtime, or even breakfast and lunch. I learned that it was best to keep them separate because we need both but they are antagonists in what they do to our nerves and muscles.
I have to have calcium too, to keep from jerks and spasms, which are more pronounced now....but it I get enough of both, I do not jerk and spasm at night. I also take B1 at night.

0357 05-22-2011 09:47 AM

Constipation

I've had problems with constipation since MS even before I started taking any of its medications.

Take 2 stool softeners daily
Drink Metamucil daily
If it is still a problem, drink MiraLax daily
Prunes can be added to your diet
Fiber One's cereal or their fiber bar should be eaten daily
Drink plenty of water daily
Exercise daily

Take care.

dmplaura 05-22-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0357 (Post 772681)
I've had problems with constipation since MS even before I started taking any of its medications.

Take 2 stool softeners daily
Drink Metamucil daily
If it is still a problem, drink MiraLax daily
Prunes can be added to your diet
Fiber One's cereal or their fiber bar should be eaten daily
Drink plenty of water daily
Exercise daily

Take care.

I can attest to all the above. I find that increasing water intake is HUGE, as is exercising (a simple walk can make a world of difference, if you can't walk, movement involving the gut if possible).

I like the Metamucil clearly fibre stuff, I will mix teaspoons of it with my herbal (caffeine free) tea. Can't even tell the stuff's in the tea.

Fiber (or in Canada, Fibre) One Bars are Amazing!! I love the oats and peanut butter the best. Sooooo yummy, and they do help you to go!

0357 05-22-2011 08:35 PM

Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal

Just wanted to add Fiber One Honey Clusters cereal tastes sooo good and has 51% of your daily fiber.