NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Betaseon & Avonex mixed Vs. pre-mixed (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/15030-betaseon-avonex-mixed-vs-pre-mixed.html)

MrBill 03-08-2007 11:57 AM

Betaseon & Avonex mixed Vs. pre-mixed

I previously posted this as a reply to another Thread. I thought that more people might benefit from the info. as a separate Thread. Hope this doesn't violate any forum protocol?

Betaseron & Avonex - my wife started with Beta in '94 when it came out. It seemed to work (less exacerbations); however, she had severe injection site reactions and switched to Avonex when it became available. Luckily not everyone gets the injection site reactions from Beta. Unfortunately my wife still has scars 12 years later.

AVONEX reactions
- There is a "little secret" for those who are new to Avonex. Avonex originally came out "unmixed", two vials, one powered and one clear solution that you mixed at the time of the injection. The current version of Avonex is "premixed". Unfortunately, some patients, including my wife, get noticeable reactions (flu like symptoms etc.) from the premixed version but NOT from the unmixed. I doubt that you can get the mfg to confirm that some people react differently to the pre-mixed/unmixed versions; HOWEVER, your doctor can prescribe the unmixed version and it is still available!! My wife gets unmixed every month.

If your neurologist disputes this, I suggest you look for a new neurologist.

I hope this info. helps someone that may be having problems with the premixed Avonex.

ewizabeth 03-08-2007 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reminder about this. I might be going back on Avonex, and if I do, I think I'll try the unmixed formula this time.

PattiLee 03-13-2007 11:15 PM

I was switched to the premixed when it first came out. We all were.

I had site reactions to it-- huge lumpy swellings. I documented every shot with Biogen. Enough of us complained that they began producing the mix-your-own variety again. The theory is that some of us react to the stablizers that keep it from deteriorating.

At first-- you could only get it by having documentation that you were having problems with the new stuff, and your doc had to order the change.

I don't know how difficult it is to switch to the mix-your-own, but Biogen seems to want folks to use the premix.

Blessings,
PattiLee

Cherie 03-15-2007 04:19 PM

Not a shadow of doubt here that people react differently to the unmixed (mix with saline prior to injection) and the premixed with manitol as a preservative. More site reaction and stronger flu-like symptoms in the prefilled than that which needs to be mixed.