NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   I feel better if I don't eat anything.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/150685-feel-dont-eat.html)

dllfo 05-22-2011 03:00 PM

I feel better if I don't eat anything....

Here we go again. My doctors (Neurologist, Gastrointinologist, Internist, Pulmonologist, urologist, etc.) are stumped. Me too.

I have had pain in the lower abdomen off and on since last November. Finally they did a CT Scan and found I have diverticulitis. I took antibiotics and nothing really changed. I have lost 15% of my weight since this started....38 pounds. No one cares. Not significant I guess.

I ate breakfast Friday and Saturday and today ... nothing else. I have less pain in the lower abdomen.

They don't think it is ulcers, although Carafate does allow me to keep food down, and they don't think it is cancer (I hope they are right).....and a couple of other names I can't remember, but none of them know. I am going in for some more lab work Monday morning.

Anyone else feel better when they don't eat???? Any ideas appreciated.

PS: They are putting me on another regimen of antibiotics next week, Sepra DS Tab 800/160 twice a day for 2 weeks. We did that for 10 days and it did not help the pain...finished that 10 day regimen about 10 days ago.

Jaspar 05-22-2011 03:42 PM

Food allergies/sensitivities.

One female acquaintance lost a significant amount of weight because she felt ill from eating. She was found to have a corn allergy. Corn allergy is difficult to accommodate because corn (and corn syrup) is nearly ubiquitous in processed foods and even used as fillers in many medications.

Gluten is a common food sensitivity, although there are others, Sometimes a person has multiple food allergies/sensitivities which can make it harder to identify.

Keep a food journal, or get tested.

By the way, with all the antibiotics you are getting, here is another consideration- antibiotics and the gut

dllfo 05-22-2011 05:45 PM

Food allergy? Maybe, but I was tested and the doctor found no allergies. Not sure how many food allergies were in the group. About 50 skin pricks overall.

I am going to see my allergist in about a week, will ask him about it. According to the last two tests, I am not allergic to anything in the standard tests.

mrsD 05-23-2011 06:33 AM

Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterolith

dllfo 05-23-2011 07:49 AM

Interesting. I had an ultrasound done for Gall Bladder ... uh ... last Decemember? January?
I wonder if they saw something and never thought of this?

I will call them today and ask...thanks again, Dave

mrsD 05-23-2011 08:20 AM

Enteroliths occur lower down the tract.... they wouldn't have looked there.

These things are often medically induced, from medications etc.
Or long term constipation, from opiates. Magnesium oxide in Phillips products used long term is mentioned too. The oxide does not dissolve and could form a stone like this.

The Dr. G autopsy show had an episode where a grandfather collapsed during a visit to his grandchildren there in Orlando, and he died from it... she found the huge stone and showed the camera...it had perforated the colon.

These are also called besoars... and cats often get them made of fur, from grooming themselves. The term besoars is more often applied to animals. But one of the cardinal signs is not eating, and losing alot of weight.

dllfo 05-25-2011 09:55 PM

mrsD,
I sent this info to my Internist (Primary Care Physician), asking him about it. No answer yet, he may be reading up on it. He is usually good to get back to me.

Gastro. Dr. ordered some labs, including a C. Diff test. We will see what they say.

Jaspar 06-27-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dllfo (Post 772828)
Food allergy? Maybe, but I was tested and the doctor found no allergies. Not sure how many food allergies were in the group. About 50 skin pricks overall.

The skin prick tests only for IgE food sensitivities and not the IgG and IgA reactions which are also testable. I know many people with some somewhat severe food allergic responses - even those necessitating the ER - who did not have any major reaction to the IgE skin prick testing. One person I know had hives and celiac, but this too was not detected by the allergist.

JA1717 06-27-2011 09:22 AM

ASK your primary to suggest a surgeon who deals with diverticulitis ....This might help you.