NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   The Year Of The Tornadoes! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/150823-tornadoes.html)

SallyC 05-24-2011 09:37 PM

The Year Of The Tornadoes!

I was a young chick in 1974, which they called the year of the tornadoes and watched as Xenia, Ohio, about 10 miles from my home, was flatened by a category 5 wide tornado.:eek::(

I think this may be the new year for horrible tornadoes..I watch the news and weather channel and just cry and pray.

I pray for all of you who are so closely effected by this..:grouphug:.. Another hit today near Oklahoma city and more people died. They are still looking for survivors in Joplin, MO and 1500 are still missing there.:(

Joplin is calling for more tornado weather tonight and here in Ohio too. We have suffered some tornado/wind damage, but nothing like MO.

They're saying that it wouldn't even take a tornado, but just a good wind to bring down what is still standing in Joplin.:eek: I pray it doesn't happen there or anywhere tonight..:smileypray::smileypray:

Are you all OK out there?:grouphug:

TwoKidsTwoCats 05-24-2011 10:08 PM

Praying for all those in the path of these powerful storms. :grouphug:

I remember those in 1974. They swept through my community in MS and killed 5 and destroyed @40 homes. Years later it was categorized as an F-4 that was over a mile wide and ran for 20 miles.

Sadly, this year they seem to be hitting more heavily populated communities and cities. Hopefully these devastated communities will experience the outpouring of help and support that AL has been receiving from around the country.

doydie 05-24-2011 11:00 PM

This year is just terrible as far as natural disasters, floods, more floods, tornados. I wish I knew what is going on

Kitty 05-24-2011 11:15 PM

I remember my Mom talking about those storms in '74. She was from Mississippi.

The closest I've ever come to actually being in a tornado was in 1998. We had one come through our town and we actually lost our privacy fence to it. I'll never forget the lightning....it was like someone was flashing a light continuously. Scary. But nothing like what the folks in AL, MS and MO have endured.

My prayers are with everyone who has suffered because of these storms.

lefthanded 05-25-2011 01:36 AM

Prayers to any of our friends and members in tornado alley. It is creepy how these monsters come in rapid succession, hammering away at middle America. Millions of victims just need a breather to allow them to absorb what has happened and begin recovery. So many sad stories of people just disappearing.

Technology has brought the world's recent disasters right into our living rooms like no other time in our lives. Let it not warp our sense of urgency and humanity for those involved, nor dim our need to help out any way we can. The term "dig deep" comes to mind, as it seems one check to the Red Cross clears the bank and we are writing another these days, eh?
It is times like these I most wish I could step out of my broken body and have my healthy body back for just long enough so I could go help clean up, or feed, or even just give hugs to those who need reassurance. My heart has certainly broken the bonds of broken nerves and wobbly feet . . . it is there with those who are hurting . . . ♥

lefthanded 05-25-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 773509)
This year is just terrible as far as natural disasters, floods, more floods, tornados. I wish I knew what is going on

At times it simply looks like mother nature scrubbing the surface of the Earth . . . . or like a test for those of us left after the storm passes to learn a lesson in loving our neighbor . . . or a chance to give help to a stranger.

tkrik 05-25-2011 12:04 PM

I lived in IL in '74 and remember lots of tornados that year. I can remember seeing those clouds and running home as fast as we could as well as being in school and having to take cover. It was quite the year.

I have been praying for all those that have been hit by all these tornados. It is so sad, so much devastation. :(

SallyC 05-25-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthanded (Post 773526)
It is times like these I most wish I could step out of my broken body and have my healthy body back for just long enough so I could go help clean up, or feed, or even just give hugs to those who need reassurance. My heart has certainly broken the bonds of broken nerves and wobbly feet . . . it is there with those who are hurting . . . ♥

AMEN!! Thanks LH..:hug:

barb02 05-25-2011 02:57 PM

Been under tornado watch all day. It has been extended until 9:00 tonight. have had a few severe thunderstorm warning. I am trying not to watch the weather channel too much because it just stresses me out. The devastation from tornadoes this spring has been horrible.

tkrik 05-25-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 773670)
Been under tornado watch all day. It has been extended until 9:00 tonight. have had a few severe thunderstorm warning. I am trying not to watch the weather channel too much because it just stresses me out. The devastation from tornadoes this spring has been horrible.

Stay safe, Barb. Check in when you can!:hug: