NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Gabapentin (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/150870-gabapentin.html)

roadrunner63 05-25-2011 03:43 PM

Gabapentin

After discussing with NeuroPsych last Friday my family doctor prescribed Gabapentin for me in hopes it will help with the neurological muscle spasms I suffer at night and allow me to sleep better. I am waiting until Friday night to start taking it because I want to make sure someone is around just in case I have a reaction to it. (I'm allergic to lots of meds)

roadrunner63 08-28-2011 11:05 AM

Gabapentin actually greatly reduced muscle spasms but I suffered severe dizziness so could not continue. Trying to come up with another option.

Mark in Idaho 08-29-2011 09:01 AM

Roadrunner,

What dose of gabapentin did you try? Did you take it in the evening? It has a short ( 8 hours) half life so it should be at low blood levels by morning.

Sounds like at least your doctor is listening.

roadrunner63 08-29-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 800243)
Roadrunner,

What dose of gabapentin did you try? Did you take it in the evening? It has a short ( 8 hours) half life so it should be at low blood levels by morning.

Sounds like at least your doctor is listening.

100mg once a day, about 9pm. Dizzy all night and well into the next afternoon. I have a lot of problems with meds - allergies and sensitivities. Even the coating on pills can make a big difference for me.

Mark in Idaho 08-30-2011 12:01 AM

Wow,

I take 900 mgs each night. I have even taken 1200 mgs. Never had a problem. Too bad you can't take it. It has been a lifesaver/sleep save for me. Hope you can find something that works.

I was on Klonopin (clonazepam) before the gabapentin for the same reason. It worked but left me sleepy all day.

roadrunner63 08-30-2011 07:22 AM

Maybe since my disability was approved and I don't have to struggle to think so much the muscle spasms will not be as bad.

I have a doctor's appointment today. He listens to suggestions very well but doesn't know what else to try.

wtrpk 08-30-2011 01:12 PM

good luck...please report what dr said!

roadrunner63 08-30-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtrpk (Post 800666)
good luck...please report what dr said!

No other meds recommended and I don't mind because of all the problems I have with meds. Continuing with Soma and go back in 6 months unless anything changes.

wtrpk 08-30-2011 04:47 PM

what's Soma?

roadrunner63 08-30-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtrpk (Post 800732)
what's Soma?

Muscle relaxer. One of my main problems is muscle spasms which create headaches and pain throughout my body. Less muscle spasms = less other problems for me. The muscle spasms are from my malfunctioning brain, not actual muscles.