NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Capsaicin (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/151742-capsaicin.html)

Nervous 06-10-2011 11:38 PM

Capsaicin

Has anyone had a reaction, good or bad, to capsaicin in their diet? Does it aggravate PN symptoms? I am thinking in particular of food items like tabasco sauce.

Thanks!

ridehard2208 06-12-2011 09:35 PM

Hey Nervous, Capsaicin is an ingredient in chili peppers and has interactions with a lot or things to include many vitamins and menerials check out this site. http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...n-topical.html

Hope this helps!

MichaelC 06-13-2011 09:37 PM

Capsaicin I know of as a cream and you better go very very easy with it because it burns

Dr. Smith 03-31-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervous (Post 777958)
Has anyone had a reaction, good or bad, to capsaicin in their diet? Does it aggravate PN symptoms? I am thinking in particular of food items like tabasco sauce.

Thanks!

Serendipity! I was just thinking about this, so I searched and found this thread...

YES. I tried some hot sauce on my chicken last week (which I hadn't done in quite some time) and for several hours afterward, my feet burned as bad/worse than before I stopped the burning with R-Lipoic Acid.

It didn't occur to me until the next day, so I waited a week and tried it again - same result.

The good news is that it was only temporary ~8 hrs, then dissipated. Gone the next day.

I've had nightshades from time to time with no reaction, so I'm pegging this to the capsaicin in the hot sauce (doggonit - I really like hot sauce! :mad: )

Doc

Nervous 03-31-2012 04:27 PM

^^My incident might have been a one-off or unrelated to capsaicin. I have tabasco sauce with my breakfast every morning without trouble.

So, I don't know.

mrsD 03-31-2012 04:29 PM

I get burning feet from "hot" things. This includes the hot radish in Thai cooking, hot sauces in American food, and now curry does it to me.

Also GI wise I cannot eat green chili peppers at all anymore.

Also MSG will set off burning for me.

I think capsaicin is not for everyone. And you may change with age too, and become intolerant later.

Dr. Smith 04-01-2012 01:20 AM

'Tis a puzzlement...

I've been eating pepper jack cheese the past couple weeks with no problems. That made me pick up the hot sauce and read the label again. Cayenne pepper & vinegar. The pepper jack cheese has jalapenos. :Hum:
Been eating dill pickles without consequence too.

Ok, I'm flummoxed.

Doc

Idiopathic PN 04-01-2012 04:59 PM

Earlier on in my symptoms of this horrible, dreaded neuropathy, I used capsaicin (Zostrix 0.075%). At that time, I was not experiencing burning, only pain in my feet and the severe deep and stabbing pins and needles in both legs and both arms and ramdomly in my torso. I used it because its one of the medicines that is always mentioned in most sites I visited while researching on treatments for neuropathy.

After the initial application, it gave me a burning sensation in my arms and legs. It was very bad that I had to take a shower at the middle of night (it was winter so I had to use the warm shower). I did not know that the warm shower will aggravate the burning!!! Though, the label says that burning will occur during the first applications, I did not expect to be THAT BAD.
The good thing about it, (if you can consider it as "good"), the burning masks the lancinating pain in my skin. I continued using it for a month because the severity of the burning reduces as I applied it regularly. I can tolerate the burning, but not the deep stabbing in my skin (well, with all the dreadful symptoms of the neuropathy, we, PNers learns - sort of - which symptoms are "tolerable" than others). The sensation of "sandpaper" rubbing my skin makes me nuts, !:mad2:

After a month, the burning continues in my skin even if I was not using the capsaicin. And even when I applied, the "sandpaper" sensation remains.

Maybe capsaicin works for others, but not for me.