NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Cymbalta (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/151951-cymbalta.html)

malawigirl08 06-14-2011 06:50 PM

Cymbalta

I have been prescribed Cymbalta which I started taking around two weeks ago, the pain from PN decreased dramatically for around ten days and is now back with a vengeance, my dose is 30mg and my neuro said I would need to go up to 60mg but I thought I would have had more time on this lower dose- thoughts anyone.....
I am also having ever so mild chest pain but it is stated as a side effect.

JoanB 06-14-2011 07:11 PM

Hi malawigirl08. I was on Cymbalta for a while about a year ago. I sort of remember going up to 60 mg. It didn't really reduce my pain and it made me wierd, more than usual, even. :) Mostly just poor impulse control, but only in a minor way, nothing alarming or dangerous. Or at least that was my opinion.:winky:

If it had helped with the pain, I might have considered continuing with it. I didn't notice any other side effects.

daniella 06-15-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malawigirl08 (Post 778837)
I have been prescribed Cymbalta which I started taking around two weeks ago, the pain from PN decreased dramatically for around ten days and is now back with a vengeance, my dose is 30mg and my neuro said I would need to go up to 60mg but I thought I would have had more time on this lower dose- thoughts anyone.....
I am also having ever so mild chest pain but it is stated as a side effect.

I am on Cymbalta. I was up to 120 but since it was not helping I went down to 60. I started at 30 at dinner and worked the way up. At first I was so nauseous on it I basically lived in the bathroom. My pain doctor said the side effects usally lessen within 2 weeks and they did. Sometimes for me with pain and med relief it is hard to tell because sometimes I am just in a flare where meds can only do so much. That is why now I try to give meds time. I would talk to your doctor about the chest pain. I hope you get relief

mrsD 06-15-2011 05:29 AM

Cymbalta can raise blood pressure.

I don't like the chest pressure...not a good sign that you will be able to tolerate it chronically.

Sheltiemom18 06-15-2011 02:10 PM

Hi, Malawi -

So sorry to hear about your problem (at least for now) with Cymbalta and that your neuropathy discomfort has increased to such a degree.

I refused to take it months ago after reading just enough of the massive literature to know I wanted no part of it although I know it helps some people. Did not want to risk the possible serious side effects.

Best,

Sheltiemom

malawigirl08 06-15-2011 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I have taken my last cymbalta, the mild chest pain is frightening me a little and I am getting no pain relief whatsoever so it isn't worth it. Although I was hoping to lose a little weight before my holiday as I have had no appetite for two weeks lol.:wink:

Apollo 06-20-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malawigirl08 (Post 779164)
Thanks everyone, I think I have taken my last cymbalta, the mild chest pain is frightening me a little and I am getting no pain relief whatsoever so it isn't worth it. Although I was hoping to lose a little weight before my holiday as I have had no appetite for two weeks lol.:wink:

I have used Cymbalta on and off since 2005 with great success (overall 75% relief) and with virtually no side effects (mild sexual ones).

Just my two cents.

Swmnupstrm 06-24-2011 06:22 PM

I have been on it a couple of times for pain, and as far as I am concerned, it does no good. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, very constipating. Ugh.