NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Rapid onset of Neuropathy all over? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/152188-rapid-onset-neuropathy.html)

DVCal 06-18-2011 03:04 PM

Rapid onset of Neuropathy all over?

Starting around 4 weeks ago I began to experience a rapid onset of what seems to be neuropathy. The pain jumps around from 1 to 4 different places at once. Some ones it is under one of my feet, some of my toes, on top of my feet, on the side of the feet, on the bottom of the leg, on top of the leg, near the knee, on different spots of the hand, near the elbow, the lower part of the arm, the upper arm. The pain can last for an hour or 8 hours in the same spot. It is a sharp stabbing pain that I feel. There is no numbness.
Could this be cause by some onset of diabetes? I was tested for diabetes a few months ago and it was negative.

For example as type this I have pain behind my right knee, the side of my right foot, top of my right hand, my right pinky, and the top of my left hand.

I have a doctor apointment this wednesday. I am scared now that I have diabetes and this is the first symptom rapid onset of neuropathy.

DVCal 06-19-2011 10:01 AM

Any ideas? The pain is some unbearable. I need to exercise so I can lose weight and a few times I had to stop because of this pain.

While the pain does appear on my arms and legs it is most intense and prevalent on my hands and feet.

amit 06-19-2011 03:24 PM

pain

What kind of pain?

clarkstar 06-19-2011 04:30 PM

my neuropathy is not sharp, stabbing pain. it varies from tingling and numbness to aching pain and touch/temp sensitivity. it doesnt sound like you are experiencing what i do. try to stay positive, watch what you eat- low carbs, no desserts, if you think it may be caused by diabetes- but there are other symptoms of diabetes which are usually come before neuropathy, like peeing a lot and excessive thirst (how i first was alerted to my diabetes). you could also buy a blood glucose test kit at a walgreens or something if you really need to know...

i don't really know what could be causing your pain, is it in the muscles, like cramping?

DVCal 06-19-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkstar (Post 780023)
my neuropathy is not sharp, stabbing pain. it varies from tingling and numbness to aching pain and touch/temp sensitivity. it doesnt sound like you are experiencing what i do. try to stay positive, watch what you eat- low carbs, no desserts, if you think it may be caused by diabetes- but there are other symptoms of diabetes which are usually come before neuropathy, like peeing a lot and excessive thirst (how i first was alerted to my diabetes). you could also buy a blood glucose test kit at a walgreens or something if you really need to know...

i don't really know what could be causing your pain, is it in the muscles, like cramping?

Blood Gucose monitor shows high normal, around 100 fasting, and 115 to 130 2 hours after meals.

Hopefully the doctor will have answers, I don't see how neuropathy can appear all over my limbs like this.

daniella 06-20-2011 05:15 AM

I don't have diabetes but my PN was a rapid onset. The symptoms over the 4 years have changed a lot too. For ex at the start I did not have burning but now do at times etc. Have you been tested for other conditions like auto immune etc? Have you talked to your doctors about pain control? In terms of activity I think starting very slow and finding the best activity for you which may different from someone else. A lot of people like the pool though I don't. I hope you get some answers from your apt

mrsD 06-20-2011 05:35 AM

Your sugars are not that bad. Diabetic neuropathy starts with numbness and tingling in the hands and feet.

I would look at what you are eating first off. Some foods if you are intolerant can do this. Gluten, nightshade veggies, dairy.

Stop eating all sugar/candy and high glycemic carbs, as a first experiment. Sugar contains fructose, and this sugar is difficult to metabolize in the body. You might consider an elimination diet, after the sugar experiment. Start with Gluten, as that is the most common. I myself cannot tolerate potatoes, or strong tomato sauces (nightshades).

Have you seen this video? About 1/2 way thru, is the metabolic consequences of fructose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I would also get your B12 evaluated and Vit D when you go to the doctor. Very low Vit D impacts calcium absorption, and when calcium gets messed up, there are odd nerve sensations possible. Get a CBC and chem panel, to see if anything is off.
A low white count would point to a virus, for example.

To see if it is your neck, and some compression is there or inflammation try a cold pack on it twice a day for 20 minutes and see if the sensations lessen. This can depress any viral contribution, and also relieve some compressive symptoms if you have a structural problem in your neck.