NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Church- too loud to attend...or go for it. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/152597-church-loud-attend.html)

Jeffrey 06-26-2011 03:48 PM

Church- too loud to attend...or go for it.

For those who attend, there's a great one walking distance from my home, but I don't go too often because of the loud, amplified worship music & even sermons. There's great content, but it triggers a bit of post-concussion head pain.

Maybe going just once in a while is good, and listening to sermons online til this is over, but I thought about earplugs as well.

What I'd love is a service w/o amplifiers. I'm 37, and like powerful music, but am cautious about amplified drums & guitar especially. I know someone that doesn't attend because of of this as well. Kind of sad-

Thanks for reading!

Mark in Idaho 06-26-2011 09:35 PM

Back when I still did attend services at church, I always wore foam ear plugs. I also had to be careful to sit in the area with the least amount of echos.

I will not get into the propriety of loud music during a church service. Many churches actually violate OSHA sound level regulations although not long enough to be an actual violation.

Jeffrey 06-27-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 781743)
Back when I still did attend services at church, I always wore foam ear plugs. I also had to be careful to sit in the area with the least amount of echos.

I will not get into the propriety of loud music during a church service. Many churches actually violate OSHA sound level regulations although not long enough to be an actual violation.

Good advice, thanks!

SmilinEyesMs305 06-27-2011 07:55 AM

Jeffrey,

I have made a couple of attempts at church services, especially for family events, like a recent baptism... and I paid for it for days...

In my opinion, who ever you believe to be the head of our universe, understands that church venues are a bad place for someone with PCS, as they are the one who creates all, the good, the bad, and PCS. :)

I had a hard time coming to this conclusion. However, I've found that reading scripture and praying and meditating silently, helps to bring me closer to my creator, without the symptoms. I'm sure he understands why I am worshiping this way right now.

Hope you can find a way that works for you! Best wishes :)

roadrunner63 06-27-2011 08:24 AM

Too overstimulating for me and I have noise sensitivity issues too so there is no way I would attempt to go. It would probably knock me down for several days.

Eowyn 06-29-2011 07:41 AM

Church has always been a huge part of my life, and it shows how serious my symptoms were that I didn't attend for several months after my concussion. I'm now able to tolerate it well enough to go, but our church isn't particularly loud or raucous. And it still does exacerbate my headaches.

katie71083 06-29-2011 11:12 AM

My church is fairly quiet, but I still have a very, very difficult time going. I sometimes try to listen to at least part of the service online, but I often can't handle that.

The same is true for any other meeting. If I find I have to attend any type of meeting or be around a group of people, I prepare for it for days. Even then, there is a period of recovery afterwards.

I came to the conclusion that if going to church hinders more than it helps, it is best for me to meet with God in a setting that can be beneficial - like the stillness and quietness of my own living room.

Mark in Idaho 06-29-2011 12:37 PM

For those of you who have marginal tolerance for the sounds in a church service or other large meeting, try wearing foam ear plugs. They block the loud sounds without blocking too much of the sounds that you are trying to listen to. I can wear my ear plugs almost anywhere and still here the speaking. I use them in restaurants and even movie theaters.

Worth a try.

I like the yellow cylindrical foam plugs best. They need to be twisted tight so they fit in far enough. They will then expand and do a great job. The ones with strings in them are useless. The string carries the sound past the foam.

Margarite 07-02-2011 02:25 AM

Now, I'm very biased because I grew up with it, but....try Gregorian Chant.
It may sound weird at first, but after a little it really speaks to you. I grew up with it at my church and now listen to it when I have a bad headache because it soothes me. If a church has Gregorian Chant (performed the right way) it will be the most quiet service you have ever been too, lots of mystery without the Rock-n-Roll head-splitters.

God Bless!
Margarite

freezerdoor 07-03-2011 06:06 PM

I have gone and have been okay. Couldn't you just go to try it and then leave if it isn't working for you? I know at mine, no one would think anything of me to do that.