NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anxiety (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/153356-anxiety.html)

lindberg711 07-10-2011 01:52 PM

Anxiety

My physical symptoms are pretty much gone at this point, but the emotional roller coaster remains. I have horrible anxiety and mood swings and it is really starting to get to me...every day seems long when you have high anxiety. Is anybody else experiencing this? I'm having trouble keeping the faith.

Mark in Idaho 07-10-2011 02:38 PM

Anxiety is a common symptom of PCS. It is likely triggered by environmental issues.

How do you respond to the anxiety events?

Have to tried to identify any environmental or behavioral issues that may precede the anxiety event?

Even though your other PCS symptoms have resolved, you may need to take steps to reduce the likelihood of anxiety issues.

I still struggle with anxiety from time to time. I have a blood pressure med to take when my blood pressure spikes during an anxiety event. It makes a big difference.

lindberg711 07-11-2011 12:21 PM

Thank you...I will try to identify these triggers. It really does help just knowing that I'm not alone and that it is normal to experience this problem at this point. I am trying to distract myself as much as possible...the worst thing for my anxiety/depression is to sit in a room by myself.

Kelly50179 07-12-2011 10:05 AM

Every minute of every day was a battle when my anxiety and depression were at their worst. I feel your pain. For me, my anxiety was not behavioral or environmental. Sure, certain things triggered it, like seeing anyone or talking on the phone, but it was not brought on by my thoughts and it was not something I could control.

Try to keep stress out of your life as much as possible. One of my problems was I became completely withdrawn and stopped communicating with friends completely. Like you said, sitting in a room by yourself is often the worst thing for the depression/anxiety. Once I accepted the anxiety in a way, I started reaching out to others.

Let people be there for you. I've learned how to effectively communicate with others and let them know exactly what's going on, which has helped. For example, if I'm getting lunch with a friend and have horrible anxiety, they might not be able to tell I am shaking and sweating and my heart is beating out of my chest. Letting them know exactly what is going on has helped, instead of trying to hide the anxiety. I simply acknowledge the anxiety then let it pass, instead of trying to avoid it.

Hope things get better for you, I know it's tough. Try to remind yourself that it will all pass eventually!