NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   New here and it's complicated! (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/153681-complicated.html)

LoopyDor 07-15-2011 05:07 PM

New here and it's complicated!

Hi all.:)

A bit about my medical issues - I had a stroke in 2006. MRI revealed (to Neuro number 1) that I had Fibromuscular Dysplasia of the right carotid artery.
Further periods of numbness and weakness and another MRI later revealed that Neuro in big, arrogant hospital didn't believe it was FMD, but I do have a severe stenosis of my middle cerebral artery. Another MRI revealed wallerian degeneration into my brain stem.

I have had periods of numbness, weakness all on left side affected by previous stroke, pins and needles, dizziness, general fatigue and muscle aches. When I have been admitted with suspected further stroke I was told it was migraine:rolleyes: as I have constant headaches.

No Neuro wants to accept that my symptoms can be attributed to my brain until I have either a massive stroke or seizures. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, even though my pain is only in my left side.

In the past 2 days I have raging pins and needles in my left leg and foot and numbness in my trunk on left side and left upper thigh which is a new symptom.

I have asked whether blood flow problems could be causing these issues but no answer. I have also asked whether nerve damage could be causing these issues and again no response.

It has been a frightening and difficult time these last 5 years and doesn't look like it is getting better any time soon.

Wondering what else I have to suffer before the Neuros actually diagnose me with something instead of just ignoring me.

LoopyDor.xx

BlueCarGal 07-15-2011 06:44 PM

You're right--it sure IS complicated.

First off, welcome. This is a good place to be, especially when you're confused. Here's the link to the stroke forum:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fo...sprune=-1&f=23

See whether you can find something there that leads in the right direction. Ask questions. Someone else will probably be along later, maybe with another forum idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoopyDor (Post 786842)
Hi all.:)l'
It has been a frightening and difficult time these last 5 years and doesn't look like it is getting better any time soon.
Wondering what else I have to suffer before the Neuros actually diagnose me with something instead of just ignoring me.

Just a general comment:
Have you given this as feedback to your doctor? S/he needs to know how you perceive your medical situation. If your doctor agrees that this is where you're at, I personally think you need a 2nd opinion.

But I'm not a doc, so what I can for sure give are :hug::hug::hug:.

(Broken Wings) 07-15-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoopyDor (Post 786842)
Hi all.:)

A bit about my medical issues - I had a stroke in 2006. MRI revealed (to Neuro number 1) that I had Fibromuscular Dysplasia of the right carotid artery.
Further periods of numbness and weakness and another MRI later revealed that Neuro in big, arrogant hospital didn't believe it was FMD, but I do have a severe stenosis of my middle cerebral artery. Another MRI revealed wallerian degeneration into my brain stem.

I have had periods of numbness, weakness all on left side affected by previous stroke, pins and needles, dizziness, general fatigue and muscle aches. When I have been admitted with suspected further stroke I was told it was migraine:rolleyes: as I have constant headaches.

No Neuro wants to accept that my symptoms can be attributed to my brain until I have either a massive stroke or seizures. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, even though my pain is only in my left side.

In the past 2 days I have raging pins and needles in my left leg and foot and numbness in my trunk on left side and left upper thigh which is a new symptom.

I have asked whether blood flow problems could be causing these issues but no answer. I have also asked whether nerve damage could be causing these issues and again no response.

LoopyDor.xx

Welcome, Loopydor

So sorry you're having these problems. It's never good to need medical attention and not get it.

Of course we're not doctors here, so we can't diagnose. A good evaluation and diagnostic tests should give you answers. I hope you get to the right healthcare provider/place soon.

It does sound like you're having blood clots or flow problems or neuropathy in your leg. It needs attention. Your symptoms don't need to be ignored.

If your current doctor is not responsive to your needs, please find another one. Dont put it off.

Keep in touch.

Darlene 07-15-2011 11:50 PM

Hello and Welcome to NeuroTalk!!

LoopyDor,

Happy to see you have come to be with us. As you can tell there are great and caring friends here to assist you, just let us know if we can be of any help. Our shoulders are here for support in many ways. Check out the following forum for some assistance:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fo...aysprune=&f=12

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum11.html

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Darlene :hug:

NurseNancy 07-18-2011 12:47 PM

hello and welcome to the board.
glad you found us.
i have to agree with broken wings.

keep looking for a dr who will believe you and look for answers.
i can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

please keep in touch with us.