NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   My computer does not recognize my printer (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/153868-computer-recognize-printer.html)

MelodyL 07-19-2011 08:42 AM

My computer does not recognize my printer

Okay, here's what happened.

I have a new printer which I hooked up last year. No problems. I rarely used it so I unplugged it (from everything).

Yesterday Alan needed to use the printer. So I plugged everything back the way it was before. Been hooking up printers for YEARS, never had a problem.

Well, when I didn't get the "New Hardware" option popping up on my computer, I inserted the cd rom. Went to my computer, there it was, wouldn't let me open it up.

Went to Control Panel, clicked on Printers. THERE WAS NO PRINTER THERE.

Then I clicked on Add Printer and the following message popped up.

OPERATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED. THE PRINTER SPOOLER SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING.

??????????????????????????????????

I did try to look this up on the internet and I tried to following what they said to do in Device manager but I got so confused I stopped.

Any advice on how to install (actually re-install) my printer would be most helpful.

I mean, this thing was recognized for a whole year and now I get Printer Spooling Service message??

Thanks much

Melody

mrsD 07-19-2011 08:56 AM

Sometimes it is best to turn computer off, plug in the device and then reboot. The computer then will scan for the device and hopefully this will work.

Other than this, I don't know...and we wait for Jo. ;)

ginnie 07-19-2011 09:30 AM

PC bummer

Had the same troulble two weeks ago. My son came over to help me out of my mess. He did re-install the printer. He also tried to unplug and re-plug it in. He wound up in the settings tool bar to re-install. Do you have the origional CD.? I was able to follow what he did, and the CD kind of gave the directions if you understand the termonology. Good luck ginnie::eek: do you know there is a song out about computer misery?

Jomar 07-19-2011 12:55 PM

along with the other ideas maybe this will help-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ems-in-windows

turn off pc and recheck all plugs - start it up again - then try the cd if it doesn't ask you about the printer after start up.

MelodyL 07-19-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 787910)
Had the same troulble two weeks ago. My son came over to help me out of my mess. He did re-install the printer. He also tried to unplug and re-plug it in. He wound up in the settings tool bar to re-install. Do you have the origional CD.? I was able to follow what he did, and the CD kind of gave the directions if you understand the termonology. Good luck ginnie::eek: do you know there is a song out about computer misery?

I guess no one read the following in my initial post.

"Well, when I didn't get the "New Hardware" option popping up on my computer, I inserted the cd rom. Went to my computer, there it was, wouldn't let me open it up."

It doesn't let me open up the printer cd.

??????????

lol

Jomar 07-19-2011 05:47 PM

I saw that part.

that's why I posted that microsoft link -
[This tutorial is designed to help you identify and fix common printer problems in Windows, including print errors, print spooler errors, and other issues that could prevent you from printing. This tutorial doesn't cover printing problems related to specific programs. Printing problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, corrupt drivers, incompatible drivers, printer settings, missing updates, and problems with your printer. ]

[Step 2: Use a troubleshooter - on this page-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ems-in-windows ]

I would probably try things from scratch one more time.

Turn off pc, unplug the printer from the pc, boot it up again, then shut it down, then plug the printer cable back in, then reboot and see what happens then.

if the "New Hardware" doesn't show up maybe the old file is still on the system but corrupted??

if that is the case go to add/remove programs and see if any printer stuff is there - if so remove it - then you'll have a clean slate to do the reinstall.

MelodyL 07-19-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 788053)
I saw that part.

that's why I posted that microsoft link -
[This tutorial is designed to help you identify and fix common printer problems in Windows, including print errors, print spooler errors, and other issues that could prevent you from printing. This tutorial doesn't cover printing problems related to specific programs. Printing problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, corrupt drivers, incompatible drivers, printer settings, missing updates, and problems with your printer. ]

[Step 2: Use a troubleshooter - on this page-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ems-in-windows ]

I would probably try things from scratch one more time.

Turn off pc, unplug the printer from the pc, boot it up again, then shut it down, then plug the printer cable back in, then reboot and see what happens then.

if the "New Hardware" doesn't show up maybe the old file is still on the system but corrupted??

if that is the case go to add/remove programs and see if any printer stuff is there - if so remove it - then you'll have a clean slate to do the reinstall.

Did that. And I did go to add/remove programs. My printer is not there.

I'm doomed

DOOMED I SAY!!!!

rofl.

I need a life.

lol, Melody

Lara 07-19-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 788053)

That's what I'd be trying.

MelodyL 07-19-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 788097)
That's what I'd be trying.

Well, now I'm really confused.

Not only is there NOTHING about my printer in the add/remove program, I went to Start, all programs and THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT MY HP PRINTER.

So how could I have installed a printer and have it work for one year, and then I unplug it and now ALL INFO pertaining to it has disappeared.

anyone???

very confusing

Jomar 07-19-2011 09:55 PM

not sure where the old Hp stuff went..:confused:

did you try the troubleshooter on that microsoft link?