NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Im thinking about a juice fast (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/154109-im-thinking-juice-fast.html)

Dejibo 07-23-2011 07:08 PM

Im thinking about a juice fast

I have a bad tummy, and my intestine is so slow, and is so thick that I have trouble absorbing nutrients from my whole foods. Nutritionist suggested I try a juice diet for 10 days and see how I feel. I have some questions.

What kind of juicer should I get? Does it matter if I just get a cheapie off the Target shelf? or should I rock the house with that Brevelle?

Do I need to core the apples first, or can i chuck them in whole?

Where do I find palatable recipes?

Anyone else have experience with juicing?

mrsD 07-24-2011 06:48 AM

I'd remove the seeds... they are questionable and contain some cyanide. It is controversial how many you can consume in a day, so it might be prudent to not eat them. Just pluck them out of the core.

BlueCarGal 07-24-2011 10:26 AM

Caution: Juicing can be addictive!

My doc suggested juicing for a number of health reasons. I borrowed a fairly good one from a friend for about a week, liked it, & bought an Omega online for under $200. Last year I upgraded to a Green Star & am very happy with it.

Recipes abound on the web. I use Bing, not Google, for this search. MrsD is right about seeds: either research them carefully, or to be safe remove them. Same with skin, actually.

I love juicing because I'm healthier, it makes eating easier, etc. At first the prep can be overwhelming, but you can get used to that. You'll be getting unprocessed food, & pretty much every digestive system will do better on that.

The biggest difference in juicers regards fiber. A good juicer let's you decide how much fibre you want. Cheap juicers tend to throw it mostly out. Also cheap juicers aren't designed to take on a full range of veggies, which are quite simply more rugged overall than most fruits. They aren't easily cleaned & they don't last. My neighbor bought a $500 juicer 12 yrs ago when she was dx cancer & considers it just well broken in.

Good luck & happy juicing. Just be forewarned: The prep time for a really balanced juice can be as much as for a regular meal.

Dejibo 07-24-2011 07:40 PM

if I tolerate this, and it does as well as we hope, I have decided on the vitamix. The juicer by montel williams has horrible reviews! I was shocked by it. Most folks are saying they are quite unhappy with it, and it works badly, and breaks easily. So, Vitamix has a wonderful reputation, and I think I will go for it with theirs if I decide to keep this in my lifestyle.

My friend is loaning me her JAck LaLayne juicer and her husband is a trucker for an organic food warehouse, so he is happy to bring me a huge box of stuff to juice.

My nutritionist considers me malnourished, and thinks because I have gastro paresis that I am not absorbing nutrients from the foods I eat, so she thinks the micronutrients in juiced foods will absorb quickly. I hope so!

Thanks for the advice. I cant wait to try this.

Dejibo 07-25-2011 03:15 PM

I got a Jack La Layne juicer. it has 1000 watts on the motor, and it handles carrots like a dream. Its not too horrible to clean up and it came with a recipe book. I cant wait to start looking up some recipes. of course I stopped at the farmers market on the way home. YUM!

HeadHurts 07-27-2012 03:00 PM

I had a Jack Juicer once I recommend breville hands down... these are the juicers they use in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.. Crazy durable and pretty cheap too