NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Stress and TOS (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/154173-stress-tos.html)

kyoun1e 07-25-2011 11:38 AM

Stress and TOS

Folks,

I'm curious how stress levels impact everyone's situation?

I've recently been progressing very well with a stretching program. My pain levels normally range from a 0 to 1.5-2 on average...and this is despite picking up my activity in the gym.

What's odd to me is this past week, I had to travel for work and there was a noticeable rise in pain to about a 3 level. I spent about 9 hours in a car (1.5 hrs in a traffic jam) travelling so I could make several presentations and attend high level meetings. No doubt I was stressed. I got little sleep. By the time I got home last Thursday I was really upset that my pain had increased. Now, on Monday, back into my daily routine and even post gym workout, my pain is maybe a 1.

And this is not the first time this has hapenned to me. Back in March, I had to travel to London for a few days and I was a mess in terms of my TOS pain.

Is this common? Is this "postural stress?"

I really hate hitting these potholes and I'm wondering how I can manage these situations better.

Thanks.

KY

Jomar 07-25-2011 12:57 PM

From my readings around and about, when stressed we tend to breathe more shallowly as well as subconsciously tense our muscles - both affect how we feel & how our body will react.

Add in the static sitting postures to the mix and pain will usually increase.

Mostly trying to move/stretch every so often and mentally try to de-stress/relax as much as possible is the best way around these bumps.

gladys64 07-28-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyoun1e (Post 789607)
Folks,

I'm curious how stress levels impact everyone's situation?

I've recently been progressing very well with a stretching program. My pain levels normally range from a 0 to 1.5-2 on average...and this is despite picking up my activity in the gym.

What's odd to me is this past week, I had to travel for work and there was a noticeable rise in pain to about a 3 level. I spent about 9 hours in a car (1.5 hrs in a traffic jam) travelling so I could make several presentations and attend high level meetings. No doubt I was stressed. I got little sleep. By the time I got home last Thursday I was really upset that my pain had increased. Now, on Monday, back into my daily routine and even post gym workout, my pain is maybe a 1.

And this is not the first time this has hapenned to me. Back in March, I had to travel to London for a few days and I was a mess in terms of my TOS pain.

Is this common? Is this "postural stress?"

I really hate hitting these potholes and I'm wondering how I can manage these situations better.

Thanks.

KY

Hey!
I have found that stress and traveling is the worst for me. If I take breaks and move around that helps. I am getting Cranial Sacral Therapy and that helps with my stress level. Good luck!

kyoun1e 07-28-2011 01:56 PM

I really have to figure this out on the work travel bit.

It's weird. I've been increasing my workload in terms of activities in the gym. Everything has been controlled with a systematic increase in activity to make sure I don't over do it. It's worked great with no major flare ups. Then, all it takes is a little bit of anxiety and postural stress to feel like it's all coming undone.

And I know that when I travel, my stretching routine gets all out of whack...as does my life routine.

Any tips here would be great. I'm sure diaphramic breathing would be a place to start.

KY