NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Elbow pain, what makes it better and what makes it worse ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/154193-elbow-pain-makes-makes-worse.html)

hellothere 07-25-2011 08:18 PM

Elbow pain, what makes it better and what makes it worse ?

I ahve read on here many people experiencing elbow pains similar to tennis elbow, but it is related to TOS somehow. I have done my research and i understand that a Double crush affect exists.

My question is, when the elbow pain symptoms start to arrise, what is the best course of action to take to heal them?

What movements aggrivate the situation and what streches help ?
What is the best position to keep the elbow in while sleeping?

My pain is about 3 -4 out 10 in the left elbow ( which is the more symptomatic side). Prior to this the elbow pain wasnt an issue so i am trying to understand what could have brought this on. Along with the pain there is just a "funny" irratation feeling in the elbow at all times. I just dont want it getting any worse so thats why i am asking the question now.

Rubbing anti inflamation cream into the elbow joint helps

Your opinions and experiences would be appriciated.

kyoun1e 07-26-2011 07:52 AM

I had my double crush at the elbow back in November. I innocently tried to skip a rock on the ocean and it triggered severe pain. A 10 on a scale o 1 to 10.

I remember ice and anti inflamatories doing nothing. I ceased all physical activity for a month and a half and tried to keep my right arm straight as much as possible. I also tried to sleep with my arm straight out.

It wasn't until I had a steroid shot in the elbow that things calmed down. Things got more manageable after I saw a manual orthopedic therapist who stretched out my neck and pec minor. Still, the pain was around a 5. Then I started doing the rigorous scalene stretching and things magically started getting better. Once the compression got relieved there, it must have allowed the 2nd crush to loosen up at the elbow. I'd say it then took 2-3 months for the nerve to "re-sensitize" and get used to its new environment. Now I get very minor issues with it.

I'd lay off using that arm in the gym. Keep stretching. Make sure it's not golfer's/tennis elbow.

KY

hellothere 07-26-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyoun1e (Post 789830)
I had my double crush at the elbow back in November. I innocently tried to skip a rock on the ocean and it triggered severe pain. A 10 on a scale o 1 to 10.

I remember ice and anti inflamatories doing nothing. I ceased all physical activity for a month and a half and tried to keep my right arm straight as much as possible. I also tried to sleep with my arm straight out.

It wasn't until I had a steroid shot in the elbow that things calmed down. Things got more manageable after I saw a manual orthopedic therapist who stretched out my neck and pec minor. Still, the pain was around a 5. Then I started doing the rigorous scalene stretching and things magically started getting better. Once the compression got relieved there, it must have allowed the 2nd crush to loosen up at the elbow. I'd say it then took 2-3 months for the nerve to "re-sensitize" and get used to its new environment. Now I get very minor issues with it.

I'd lay off using that arm in the gym. Keep stretching. Make sure it's not golfer's/tennis elbow.

KY

Is there a difference between a Physcial therapist and orthopedic Therapist?

Also tennis elbow and golfers elbow? What is that?

I think my main problem is working in a office, On my days off symptoms are sooo much less.