NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Caregivers Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/)
-   -   Daughter of a caregiver here. (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/1543-daughter-caregiver.html)

CoolAngel26 09-24-2006 05:36 PM

Daughter of a caregiver here.

Hi everyone,

My grandmother is in bad shape,I just got back from a weekend of checking on her.My mom is caring for her in-home full time..and this is very frustrating for us...

She has her mental faculties..most of the time..but,her physical decline is what is so heartbreaking.(Mom's not handling this well at all..Again,I offered to try to help more.But,she put her foot down,and Granny too,and we agreed that I should stay where I am,and look after Dad.)

Her balance is shot,her continence is not always there..It's so upsetting to see her like this..

Sorry for the downer post. Kristin

PS.Can I post here,every now and then??

trekker 09-25-2006 12:36 AM

Hi Kristin!!!

Welcome, of course you can post here anytime you feel the need to vent, ask for advice, or just share how you are doing. It's nice to hear from you. Have had a busy summer and so I have not had much time to keep in contact with everyone. How is the rest of your family, your little niece? How are you doing with your difficulties any luck with the doctors helping you?

JoJo6 09-25-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolAngel26 (Post 12526)
Hi everyone,

My grandmother is in bad shape,I just got back from a weekend of checking on her.My mom is caring for her in-home full time..and this is very frustrating for us...

She has her mental faculties..most of the time..but,her physical decline is what is so heartbreaking.(Mom's not handling this well at all..Again,I offered to try to help more.But,she put her foot down,and Granny too,and we agreed that I should stay where I am,and look after Dad.)

Her balance is shot,her continence is not always there..It's so upsetting to see her like this..

Sorry for the downer post. Kristin

PS.Can I post here,every now and then??

Hi Kristin. Oh course you can post hear. Welcome and I hope it will be some help to be able to talk with others now and again. I posted a lot in the Sanctuary, but it been awhikl, I was woning the other day how you grandmother and well as your mom was. And of course you too.

Please come as often as you would like:) I'm glad to see so many that were actuallty a very close family, thats how I felt anyway. I hope you feel at home here. ((((Kristin)))) Jo

Boopers 12-03-2006 12:43 AM

Post anytime

Hi Kristen,

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's so hard when their health starts to decline and we feel helpless.
I hope things will get better for her, your mother, father and you.
Take care,
Linda :)

frogga 12-04-2006 03:38 AM

Dear Kirstin..

It is horrible isn't it!!!I am also the daughter of a caregiver. I am 21 and have severe Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and dystonia, (so severe chronic pain, wheelchair user, with very little use in arms (eg have to be fed, pushed, dressed etc). I am at uni now with my own team of 24hr carers..

BUT.....

my grandmother has terminal lung cancer... and it is so sad watching her get worse and worse. She was walking until 2 months ago when the tumour metasised to her spine and compressed it and now you can see the tumour moving up her spine every time I'm back (doing about 800 mile round trip once a week for 3/4 days to see her and help mum then come back to uni). Granny has only one lung, has neuropathic bladder and bowel (so incontinent) severe pain, joint stiffness, breathing problems and is now virtually bed bound. She is vagguelly with it but is so fatigued that all she does is sleep.

Like you I find it so hard to watch her go down hill.... and the frustration is immense. If I didn't go back to hers every week then mum would have no respite as she has to be there 24hours a day 7 days a week (we use my carers as respite) but I still find mum sleeping on the sofa next to grannys bed to keep an eye....

anyway, I really empathise with your situation.... it's how I feel most of the time.... especially as I can only help emotionally, am not much good physicallly!

anyway big hugs

Rosie xxxxxxxxxxxxx

FeelinGoofy 12-04-2006 09:02 AM

Hi Kristin.....
Just wanted to send you a {{{{HUG}}} today.....
vicky

Idealist 01-14-2007 10:06 PM

Hi Kristin!

I just want you to know that I applaud you, and so many other posters here, for the love and caring they feel for their family members. I know from personal experience that this is not always the case, so God bless you all for your thoughts and your efforts.

Idealist

jccgf 01-14-2007 11:30 PM

Hi Kristen,

I'm sorry to hear your grandmother is not doing well. It sounds like your family is doing all they can to take good care of each other during this difficult time.

Take care~

Cara