NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Bowel issues? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/154303-bowel-issues.html)

nancymarie 07-27-2011 11:34 AM

Bowel issues?

Hi everyone:

This is a bit of a sensitive topic so hope it's ok to discuss here.

My H has PPMS and is in a wc most of the day. So far he can still stand laittle, but can't walk. Can transfer, toilet himself. He doesn't have constipation or loose bowels so that's not a problem. In other words he's not incontinent.

I know bowel issues can come as ms progresses. Does anyone here have problems in this area and does a bowel program and taking certain meds really help?

I just want to understand and be prepared.

thanks!

Aarcyn 07-27-2011 12:29 PM

I sit a lot but not in a wheelchair. I just use Miralax as needed.

SallyC 07-27-2011 12:47 PM

Sometimes the meds he takes may cause diahrea/constipation. I eat Activia/yogurt every other day and it seems to keep me regular.

tkrik 07-27-2011 12:53 PM

I started eating yogurt daily. I had to play around with brands until I found the one that worked best for me. Additionally, when I get "backed up" eating canned pears has been the best for me. I swear by them and I know others on here have mentioned having success with the canned pears. Plus, it's "natural" and has vitamins and nutrients we need anyhow. I also found that the canned pears worked the fastest, faster than any of the stool softeners I have used and prunes or prune juice.

This is an issue for many of us MSers and I know others will be along with suggestions and things that have worked for them.

Aarcyn 07-27-2011 01:00 PM

i eat yogurt too! Had not heard about canned pears, thanks. TK.

nancymarie 07-27-2011 01:10 PM

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't heard about the canned pears. H takes Accuflora and eats yoghurt. So far so good.

Appreciate any more info anyone has.:D

Debbie D 07-27-2011 03:21 PM

I have occasional urge incontinence from both ends...comes on suddenly. I am RRMS though, and was dxd with IBS years ago, which is bothersome.

It is one of the more aggravating symptoms, since it makes me hibernate in the house, afraid I'll have an accident while I'm out..:(

carebear01 07-27-2011 04:32 PM

I eat Yoplait Plus yogurt almost everyday. So it doesn't get so boring, I sometimes add some granola or fresh fruit. I eat prunes every now and then...keep them in the fridg. It also helps to keep hydrated.

kicker 07-27-2011 05:01 PM

Dried Apricots are a nice change once in awhile

dmplaura 07-27-2011 07:52 PM

Yogurt, Fiber One bars daily. Drink a LOT of water (as much as possible). Metamucil "Simply Clear" for more fiber in the diet.

I eat a lot of vegetables too - as much as I can get.

I eat 1 apple daily.

With my yogurt (daily too), I combine raisins and other dried fruits - sometimes prunes and dried apricots, plus a few pineapple tidbits.

Magnesium supplements.

I drink at least 2 liters of water daily, and at least 30g daily of fiber in the diet. I take stool softener when it gets to the point that I've literally gone days without movement.

I have difficulty having a regular BM, period. I don't know what to do myself at this point. I've followed all the suggested methods! I believe mine may be more related to my medication, versus the MS.