NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   Is there hope when you have MS and TN? (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/155002-hope-ms-tn.html)

VickiD5 08-08-2011 10:50 AM

Is there hope when you have MS and TN?

Hi everyone,

So happy and relieved to have found this forum!

I won't tell my entire story right now but just had a question about Multiple Scleroris and TN. I have both and was recently told that there's not much that can be done when you have both conditions. That really scares me because I can't imagine a future with this type of pain along with my MS symptoms. I'm hoping there's some type of procedure or surgery if the TN gets progressively worse down the road. Right now my pain is being managed by a high dose of Neurontin but at it's peak last Summer, even the Morphine I was given in the hospital didn't help.

Can MVD surgery or other procedures help people with MS and TN?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

~ Vicki

Burntmarshmallow 08-08-2011 01:41 PM

there is hope. I have heard that some with both MS and TN have had either a motor cortex or deep brain stim implants. also believe that people with just MS
have the dbs or motor cortex sometimes . as with both situations it is still experimental usage of the stim so it is used as a last option after meds and such. I dont know if MVD would help in your case, It has helped plenty of others but many do not have both MS and TN.
Glad you found us but not so happy for the reason and for all your pain :hug:
Hope we can all help each other find our ways threw this .
we are all sending low pain and hope to you Vicki. we are all here for each other and for you so please keep posting and if you need any info or help will do best as we can.
:grouphug:
PEACE
BMW

VickiD5 08-10-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burntmarshmallow (Post 793887)
there is hope. I have heard that some with both MS and TN have had either a motor cortex or deep brain stim implants. also believe that people with just MS
have the dbs or motor cortex sometimes . as with both situations it is still experimental usage of the stim so it is used as a last option after meds and such. I dont know if MVD would help in your case, It has helped plenty of others but many do not have both MS and TN.
Glad you found us but not so happy for the reason and for all your pain :hug:
Hope we can all help each other find our ways threw this .
we are all sending low pain and hope to you Vicki. we are all here for each other and for you so please keep posting and if you need any info or help will do best as we can.
:grouphug:
PEACE
BMW

Thanks so much, BMW. Your kind words and encouragement mean alot to me. :) It's good to know that there may be options down the road.

Hope you're doing well, too. I'll see you here in the forum!

Burntmarshmallow 08-12-2011 03:51 PM

The Dr.s will use meds and or a combo of meds until all of them are exhausted before even considering Motor cortex or Deep brain stim. but there is hope even when it seems like your at the end of options. :hug: and you have us along for the journey so dont be shy about posting or asking for info we are here to help. see you around here again soon. Have a low pain , pleasant weekend.
PEACE
BMW