NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Buying a home (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/155159-buying-home.html)

roadrunner63 08-11-2011 06:59 AM

Buying a home

Going this morning to sign contract on home; legal stuff should be done and able to move in mid-week.

I received my insurance settlement Tuesday. I am paying cash for a 3br mobile home on 1 1/2 acres. This will eliminate almost $600 month rent payments. Less stress for me!

winic1 08-11-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner63 (Post 794700)
going this morning to sign contract on home; legal stuff should be done and able to move in mid-week.

I received my insurance settlement tuesday. I am paying cash for a 3br mobile home on 1 1/2 acres. This will eliminate almost $600 month rent payments. Less stress for me!

congratulations!!!!!

greenfrog 08-11-2011 09:52 PM

Congratulations! I hope your new living arrangements work out well, and that they are conducive to healing.

roadrunner63 08-11-2011 10:07 PM

My neuropsychologist said the less I have to work the better I should feel. This will make it so I can follow his suggestion.

Mark in Idaho 08-11-2011 10:57 PM

Roadrunner,

Congratulations. I know that if I did not have house payments, we could survive on my Social Security Disability check. Instead, my wife had to find a job after 30 years of being a homemaker. Fortunately, she has been blessed with a fabulous job with decent pay and benefits.

I can still pursue an income without losing my SSDI. I can net about $1000 per month and still get my SSDI. I would need to earn over $3000 per month to make up for the SSDI, Medicare and the allowable personal income. Not a chance with my brain and its limitations.

Just make sure your tornado magnet has good insurance for storm damage.

The symptoms of PCS also tend to reduce some of the opportunities to spend money as they cause a refocus on a simpler life. No expensive cruises on crowded ships. No loud concerts.

It is amazing how enjoyable a quiet simple life can be.

My best to you.

roadrunner63 08-12-2011 07:31 AM

Since I don't have a husband I had to find a way to make this work by myself. I can't count on anyone else to help pay my bills.

I do work some but income is definitely less than $1000 month and some of it is residual income for which I really don't have to do any work.

I made lists to make sure I don't forget something important, like insurance, during this transition.

A simple life is all I want. If I have the necessities without having to stress my brain every day I will be content.