NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Constipation ?? again (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/155448-constipation.html)

poochie 08-16-2011 09:47 AM

Constipation ?? again

Are any of you dependent for BM help. I am, I never go without help, I am taking magnesium 900 mg now which helps. I just don't want to be at the point where I can't go at all without help and now I am here and it is terrible. Just wondering if I am the only one.

missj 08-16-2011 11:48 AM

you are not alone. My docs are aware of this and they say while its not ideal there are worse diseases to have and worse drugs to be dependent on. It is an unfortunate reality (sad face)

Aarcyn 08-16-2011 01:17 PM

You are not alone. There are plenty of us with all sorts of medicines and foods we use to help.

I use Miralax as needed. Magnesium did not work for me. Yogurt - activia for me - seems to help, apricots, prunes, canned pears are all in my diet due to recommendations here.

If misery loves company, you have plenty of people that are totally in the same predicament.:)

Dejibo 08-16-2011 02:18 PM

I am a slow lane girl. its not that I dont go almost everyday, its that when I do go, its hard, and pellet like or dry, really dry and hard to pass. I need help to move things along.

You are in good company.

NurseNancy 08-16-2011 03:39 PM

hi pooch,

i'm not at the end of the line yet. i've tried a couple of things that work for me.
1. i've taken metamucil 1 heaping kitchen teaspoon every nite. if it's too much pull back. and 2. now i take 200mg (2 pills) of docusate sodium. it's the generic for colace which is very expensive. the generic is much cheaper. you can get a huge bottle at walgreens. but, start small.

also make sure you take in at least 8 cups of water each day. hydration helps.

good luck.

poochie 08-17-2011 01:06 PM

well, I hate that ya'll have this problem, but I'm glad you know what I'm talking about, I was wondering if anyone else went through this. Thanks for the advise.

daisy.girl 08-19-2011 07:32 AM

I was thrilled when I realized that Magnesium helped....but I didn't realize that doctors consider it drug to be dependent on. I don't think my doc knows I even take it!!

dmplaura 08-19-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy.girl (Post 797160)
I was thrilled when I realized that Magnesium helped....but I didn't realize that doctors consider it drug to be dependent on. I don't think my doc knows I even take it!!

If your GPs are like ours.... they'll fluff off discussions about a lot of vitamins/supplements/alternative treatments. Sometimes founded, most times not. The only my GP actually backs me on is Vitamin D, but she knows I'll take what I find works for me, so she leaves me be.