NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   B12 Deficiency (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/155553-b12-deficiency.html)

KittyKatty 08-17-2011 10:16 PM

B12 Deficiency

I've been getting b12 injections for four days now. I am having some adverse reactions (rapid heartbeat, acne, shortness of breath, itching, when I wake, I have an anxious feeling and weakness/brain fog). I am not going to take any more injections, but I'm wondering, how long does it take for the b12injections leave my system?

Dr. Smith 08-18-2011 08:47 AM

A few days to a week

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKatty (Post 796815)
how long does it take for the b12 injections leave my system?

The injections were likely cyanocobalamin, which stays in the bloodstream only a short time - less than a week (though B-12 is stored in the liver for several months).

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal.../198200a0.html

After you feel recovered, you might consider trying sublingual methylcobalamin.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

HTH,

Doc

Rosie33 08-19-2011 02:25 AM

Should I take a lower dosage of B12

My blood test for B12 came back at 1200 being the highest level shown. I've been taking 5000mcg bilingual B-12 meth for sometime. Should I cut down on my daily dosage seeing my test came back at the highest level? I don't think my doctor really knows the answer. :confused:

glenntaj 08-19-2011 06:22 AM

No, you don'thave to--

--for any health related reason that I know of--B12 has no known toxicity level, as the body uses what it needs and excretes excess.

You may be creating some very expensive urine if your body is taking in far more than it needs, but that's the only caveat I would have.

I suspect that if you're taking 5000mcg/daily, your serum B12 level would be much higher than that if the lab that did the measurement uses a methodology that allows for higher values. (My last measurement was 1672. But I do heavily supplement, as you do. I often have to explain this to doctors.)

The real key, I suppose, is how do you FEEL at this dose? Are you having improvements?

Lara 08-19-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyKatty (Post 796815)
I've been getting b12 injections for four days now. I am having some adverse reactions (rapid heartbeat, acne, shortness of breath, itching, when I wake, I have an anxious feeling and weakness/brain fog). I am not going to take any more injections, but I'm wondering, how long does it take for the b12injections leave my system?

Hi KittyKatty.
Nice to meet you here at Neurotalk.

Do you actually mean you've had the injections 4 days in a row or 4 injections over a period of a couple of weeks or so?

A lot could depend on why you have been prescribed this medication in the first place. Hard to know from your post.

Hope you're ok.

Dr. Smith 08-19-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie33 (Post 797127)
I've been taking 5000mcg bilingual B-12 meth for sometime. .... :confused:

:Funny-Post: I'm :confused: too! :Funny-Post:

We know what you meant - I get days like that too.... :D

Rosie33 08-20-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rosie33
I've been taking 5000mcg bilingual B-12 meth for sometime. ....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 797170)
:Funny-Post: I'm :confused: too! :Funny-Post:

We know what you meant - I get days like that too.... :D

That was actually a "TEST" to see who was paying attention, and YOU win first prize....a week in sunny Mexico :sunchair: :winner_first_h4h: :Dancing-Chilli:....so there! :icon_razz: :icon_lol: :winky:

Rosie33 08-20-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 797143)
--for any health related reason that I know of--B12 has no known toxicity level, as the body uses what it needs and excretes excess.

You may be creating some very expensive urine if your body is taking in far more than it needs, but that's the only caveat I would have.

I suspect that if you're taking 5000mcg/daily, your serum B12 level would be much higher than that if the lab that did the measurement uses a methodology that allows for higher values. (My last measurement was 1672. But I do heavily supplement, as you do. I often have to explain this to doctors.)

The real key, I suppose, is how do you FEEL at this dose? Are you having improvements?

I feel pretty good but I've developed a light red rash on my arms and legs, and thought I would stop all vitamins and supplements for a few days to see if it's an allergic reaction. I've also been following a gluten free diet for the past couple of days. The rash is not itchy but it's driving me crazy because I've had it about 2 weeks now. I have an appointment next week with my doctor.:)

mrsD 08-28-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie33 (Post 797127)
My blood test for B12 came back at 1200 being the highest level shown. I've been taking 5000mcg bilingual B-12 meth for sometime. Should I cut down on my daily dosage seeing my test came back at the highest level? I don't think my doctor really knows the answer. :confused:

I would continue what you are doing. There is no documented high toxic level for B12. The highest that is testable, as reported on the net by people working with the machines...is 2000.

If you go to my B12 thread, post 70 explains from Dr. Snow, why some people with neuro problems may need more, than others.

Some people react to cyano form which is the common form in most injections. That is a form of cyanide, and often cannot be metabolized away by rare patients.