NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/)
-   -   Pantothenic acid (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/155585-pantothenic-acid.html)

Dr. Smith 08-18-2011 12:44 PM

Pantothenic acid

Whilst researching pregnenolone, I came across a graphic that included pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), calling it the "stress vitamin", and saying that it "drives the process" of converting pregnenolone into other hormones. Curious about this, I Wiki'd pantothenic acid, and found this statement:

Quote:

Diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy

Twenty-eight out of 33 patients (84.8%) previously treated with alpha-lipoic acid for peripheral polyneuropathy reported further improvement after combination with pantothenic acid. The theoretical basis for this is that both substances intervene at different sites in pyruvate metabolism and are, thus, more effective than one substance alone. Additional clinical findings indicated diabetic neuropathy may occur in association with a latent prediabetic metabolic disturbance, and that the symptoms of neuropathy can be favorably influenced by the described combination therapy, even in poorly controlled diabetes.[36]
This was all new to me (What isn't? :Dunno:) In everything I've read here (NT) and elsewhere, I don't recall seeing this mention of B-5 in conjunction with alpha-lipoic acid with regard to PN (not that I couldn't have missed it, though I just searched and still didn't see anything).

So I checked my daily B-100 complex (which I take mornings along with my R-Lipoic acid anyway) and find it contains 100 mg. of pantothenic acid (hope that's enough - it's 1000% of the RDA... yeah, yeah, I know ;))

Anyhoo, since I don't recall seeing it anywhere before, I thought I'd mention it for consideration/dissection/demolition.

FWIW,

Doc

mrsD 08-19-2011 07:40 AM

Vitamin B5 is rarely deficient in most people. There are claims for it, but not commonly, to use extra.

A version called panthethine has been linked to lowering cholesterol but never panned out in a big way.

I think your B complex is enough, unless you want to try more.

Dr. Smith 08-19-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 797164)
I think your B complex is enough, unless you want to try more.

I might if the burning pain ever comes back and/or I need to increase the R-Lipoic (currently 100 mg./day). After finding the initial reference, I got to thinking it could explain my atypical (beneficent) results, as I take them together in the morning.

Doc

Gyrene 08-22-2011 12:06 PM

PN Pain

I have PN as an outgrowth of Waldenstroms cancer. My neurologist recommended a salve that is formulated by a local pharmacy.
The contents are:

Flurbipropen 10%
Amitriptyline 2%
Gabapentin 6%
Lidocaine 2%
Prilocaine 2%

Lipoderm(R) Activemax

If anyone would like to try something like this, and can't get formulated at their local pharmacy, write me at gyrene070@yahoo.com and I'll put you in contact with my pharmacy.

Tom