NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Allergic Reactions? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/155667-allergic-reactions.html)

daisy.girl 08-20-2011 07:59 AM

Allergic Reactions?

I am allergic to cipro, topamax, zonegran, lamictal, keppra, tysabri, and gilenya..........

I asked my Neuro if it makes sense that MS patients would have a higher rate of allergic reactions due to our over active immune systems.....His response was that in theory that was completely correct, it only stands to reason if our body attack our own myelin, it would really attack an outside substance, like a foreign medication.

I wonder how many MS patients have allergic reactions to medicines??

Dejibo 08-20-2011 08:18 AM

I am a collector of allergies.

some fillers and binders in generic meds
Iodine
sulfa
Mushrooms
shrimp
bees
haloperidol
reglan
klonopin

Gawd, the list does on and on.

wkikta 08-20-2011 10:19 AM

No Allergies, never a reaction to a Medication.

barb02 08-20-2011 01:03 PM

Penicillin
Sulfa
Interferons
Copaxone
Tysabri
Zanaflex (made me extremely nauseated)
Could not handle the few anti depressant meds I tried (paxil, cymbalta, lexapro, wellbrutin)

SallyC 08-20-2011 01:11 PM

Me too...
Sulfa
Cipro
Avonex
Macribid

I never had an allergy to anything before MS..:mad:

Erin524 08-20-2011 01:53 PM

Shellfish
penicillin
ragweed (and other assorted pollens)
cats
grass (touching grass or certain plants makes me break out in hives)
perfumes (causes me to wheeze and break out into hives)
certain cleaning products, especially if they have a flowery scent

and some medication my neuro gave me for migraines when they quit making my old medication. Have to find the bottle to remember the name of it. It made me break out into hives.

dmplaura 08-20-2011 09:26 PM

A lot, but here's the major ones:

Iodine
Erythromycin
Biaxin
Seafood
Shellfish
Bee/Wasp/Hornet stings
**All the above could potentially be life threatening to me

Misc. allergies:

Cats/Dogs and their dander
Golden Rod/Grass
Dust
Cologne, Perfume (can trigger a sudden headache/migraine)

I have had side effects or intolerance with:

Tegretol (Carbamazepine)
Amitriptyline
Neurontin
Nortriptyline

I have difficulty (discomfort) with:
Oranges - Mouth ulcers (canker sores)
Tomatoes and Strawberries - Mouth discomfort (feels like I've been cut with tiny shards of glass)

I'm sure there's a bunch I'm forgetting. Seems acidic foods aren't too kind to my body, but not deathly allergic to, thankfully.

(I know we were to discuss medications, but I figured I'd add others that affect me)

Dejibo 08-21-2011 05:28 AM

I guess I should say that I am very sensitive to smells.

oil/gas smells
perfumes
Cigarettes
hairsprays
ragweed
pine pollen
molds and mildew
amonia

any of all of the above can cause me to become disoriented, confused, nauseous, migraine, and or unable to draw in a deep breath.

Judy2 08-22-2011 01:10 AM

Yes, I'm also allergic to or have bad reactions to some medications. :rolleyes: After a lifetime of using penicillin, out of the blue I had a reaction with hives, shortness of breath and palpitations.

Penicillin
Erythromyecin
Interferons
Solumedrol

When I was a kid, I had alot of allergies caused by environmental triggers. Surprisingly, they discovered I was allergic to my own cold germs so every time I caught a cold, it went into pneumonia.....five times in 1-1/2 years....age 4-5. Thankfully my mother had been a nurse so I was able to stay at home with the doctor coming for a "house call":eek: After years of allergy shots and growing up, I seemed to outgrow them....thank goodness!:)

Being allergic to my own cold germs sure sounds like a precursor to MS raising it's ugly head in later years. It does make you go hmmmmmm:confused:

SallyC 08-22-2011 11:11 AM

Judy, thank heaven, so far, I haven't had an allergic reaction to Penc. or E-miacin. My PCP uses Amoxicillan for my UTIs and E-miacin for heavy duty sinus infections.

I am always apprehensive now, though, when trying any new med or one that I haven't had for awhile.:eek:

How are you doing these days?:hug: