NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/)
-   -   Acromioclavicular Joint Arthritis of the Shoulder (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/15574-acromioclavicular-joint-arthritis-shoulder.html)

Jennifer 03-15-2007 11:26 AM

Acromioclavicular Joint Arthritis of the Shoulder

My name is Jennifer, I am 23 and I was wondering if there is anything you guys know about Acromioclavicular Joint Arthritis of the Shoulder, I take Aleve twice a day. My doctor is going to try a cortisone shot in both shoulders. I was wondering if anyone knew if it would ever get better. I am a cashier, Would I possibly have to find another job, with less lifting? Any help would be nice. Everyone wants me to work my shoulders, should I work them, or let them rest?

Jennifer

AK Kid 03-18-2007 01:11 AM

Shot in shoulder

I have been getting the shots for over two years now. In the beginning they lasted about 3 months, now I hardly even get a month pain free.

Myofascial Pressure point therapy can be helpful before you start getting the shots.

What to expect:

This is done in a doctor's office, your doctor will pull in a xray machine to "see" where he is placing the shot.

The shot is most likely a combination of medications, a cortisone, a long lasting cortisone (forgot the name) and a numbing medicine like lindocaine.

First off is your doctor or his nurse will prep you....

Your doctor will position the x ray machine

this is where I pop in my ipod............(hate needles) - defocusing helps

The needle is one of the smaller ones so you do feel a pinch when it is inserted in your shoulder (joint)

When the medications are being inserted you will first feel a bit of pressure (not too bad - but it mimmicks your pain)

Then you are done!

You will be pain free for about 2 to 3 hours - but still wrap your arm or ask your doctor for an arm sling.

I usually go home right away, switch between ice and heat therapies - this helps with the soreness which will go away. If I were you I would not use the arm and shoulder much the day you get your shot.

Take care - and good luck!

longnow 10-23-2007 02:56 AM

Arthrites like pain in shoulders.

Last year I developed arthritic like pain in both shoulders.
The pain was slowly getting worse. My whole
immune system was taking a hit and decided to take some
drastic action.

I started to drink fresh vegetable juices (lemons, kale, apples,
cucumbers, parsley, red cabbage) combined with green and red
vegetable/fruit powders and vitamin shakes. I had only one solid meal each day
which usually consisted of a fish dinner. Results: loss of 30 lbs
and no shoulder pain. I wasn't even looking to lose the weight.