NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Frozen Meals (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/155807-frozen-meals.html)

Blessings2You 08-22-2011 05:08 PM

Frozen Meals

Remember the old "TV dinners" in the foil trays? Eeee-yuck! The frozen meals now taste like...well, like food!

In the last few years my husband has become aware of such things as calorie, sodium, fat content, etc., and once I pointed out the labels on Banquet and Hungry Man (!) dinners, we took those off the menu!

Our favorites are Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice. As good as fresh, non-processed, home-grown food? Well, of course not. And some are better than others.

Lately we've been into Lean Cuisine's flatbread melts and panini. When they're on sale ($2-2.50), they make a satisfying, tasty meal...especially with a tossed salad. I think light eaters would even be satisfied with a half serving. They so don't taste like "frozen" sandwiches!

And by the way, this is an unpaid and unsolicited endorsement!! :D

Kitty 08-22-2011 05:29 PM

I like the Lean Cuisine meals, too. And I found out that they taste so much better if you heat them in the regular oven versus the microwave. Easier to do this in the winter rather than heat up the kitchen in the summer. Toaster ovens work well for this.

Jules A 08-22-2011 07:12 PM

I also like weight watchers, lean cuisine, healthy choice and whatever Safeway's lean meals are called. I usually buy them on sale and take them to work.

My recall on the little sandwich pannini ones were that they were kind of skimpy though, maybe I should give them another try with a salad. Since I've been doing weight watchers online I've gotten back into my old skinny jeans so I'm trying to watch portions and these are no brainers. :wink:

agate 08-22-2011 08:02 PM

I like Weight Watchers Smart Ones because there are several without meat. Amy's frozen meals can be good too though I haven't like some of them.

Pepperidge Farm puts out Texas Toast which is probably meant for breakfast or lunch but I use it for dinner sometimes, along with a vegetable.

doydie 08-22-2011 08:09 PM

I love Lean Cuisine. There is no better spaghetti than theirs. And weight watchers pizza. I don't like the bread that a panini is on, to crunchy. When I was working, I was an RN on a cardiac unit. We kept the Healthy choice meals as a prudent heart healthy meal for our patients who came in after dietary was closed.

SallyC 08-22-2011 09:36 PM

I love most of the Livesmart frozen meals at Schwans. They are mostly what I eat now. I do have DD bring me some Lean Cousine, once in awhile...yummmm.:)

OMG, those old time frozen cardboard tv dinners.:eek::eek::eek:

Uh, thanks for your endorsement, Blessings...lol

Jodylee 08-23-2011 05:45 AM

Thanks for your unpaid endorsement, B2Y :). I have been eating a lot of Amy's frozen meals. They're mostly organic and meat-free.

Kitty 08-23-2011 07:38 AM

I like Amy's, too. Well, most of them. Their burritos are good. It took me a while to try them as usually frozen burritos aren't that good but theirs are.

mochagirl13 08-23-2011 09:08 AM

Here's another endorsement.

Lean Cuisine, WW and Healthy Choice are good. Especially when they are on sale. I buy them on sale $2.00 or less, add a yogurt, some fruit and I've got lunch for the week for less than $20.00. Not to mention it's a healthy option and easy. I've been eating them for over 20 years. They have gotten better with more variety.

Debbie D 08-23-2011 09:41 AM

Have you tried those single serving bags Lean Cuisine puts out? There are a lot of tasty meals in those.

I kind of miss those Swanson dinners...I loved the salisbury steak dinner with the apple cobbler dessert...I recall the steak was very salty...