NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   could watching tv at night (hour before bed) keep me awake all night? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/155817-watching-tv-night-hour-bed-awake-night.html)

wtrpk 08-22-2011 06:55 PM

could watching tv at night (hour before bed) keep me awake all night?

I have awful sleep at night. But I notice that when I watch tv (which is more recent ... I cannot sleep at night). I watched a whole movie the other night and cat napped all night.

Is it possible that the stimulation keeps me up???? I just don't want to believe that because I just want to veg out in front of the tv. My head feels weird..top of head gets tingly...sometimes I will get some strange feelings in my jaw and teeth) Anyone else..or anyone know what that is?

Mark in Idaho 08-23-2011 08:28 AM

I would wonder if you are holding or positioning your head and neck in a position that causes the tingling, etc. I need to be very disciplined to keep my head and neck straight.

I can easily fall asleep in front of the TV after watching a movie. I need to avoid overly stimulating stuff. I use this as a preparation to go to bed. If I try to go to bed before I have drifted off in my easy chair, I will toss and turn in bed. If I wait til I have fallen asleep in the chair, I can position myself in a comfortable position i n bed and fall asleep immediately.

Dealing with the insomnia can be a job in itself. Finding the right process is a challenge but worth the effort.

My best to you.

Jingles1987 08-23-2011 09:00 AM

I have had terrible insomnia from the beginning. I tried sleep aids, natural stuff (like melatonin) and the majority of which didn't really seem to help. I went to a sleep psychologist who recommended proper sleep hygiene. I've seen it mentioned on these forums too but you wouldn't believe how vital it is.

One of the things that I do is, restrict my time to about 8 hours or so. I keep this same schedule every night. Also, don't watch TV in bed or do activities that stimulate your brain. I used to do that and I think my brain developed a habit of being stimulated in bed which made it difficult to sleep.

Another thing you could do, is actually restrict your sleep even more instead of 8 hours you could try 7 1/2. It'll build up sleep pressure which will help you fall asleep faster and sleep deeper.

This are just some suggestions. I still struggle with getting good sleep, but I still struggle with only getting "naps" throughout the night. Currently trying to figure out what else might be contributing to my lack of sleep and things I can do to improve it. Mark is right, it is a job, and it's different for each person.

Mark in Idaho 08-23-2011 01:20 PM

I forgot to mention that I also need to reduce or eliminate all tactile sensations. This means having the most comfortable fabrics both in bed sheets and pajamas. I have even used soft things to hold in my hands (a small acrylic fuzzy pile stuffed animal) or wearing chenille gloves. Also, a completely empty bladder, etc.

I actually use TV as a mind numbing event. Sometimes, I will watch a DVD of Celtic Woman. I have seen it so many times that my mind has it memorized and is not stimulated. The same works with CD's of instrumental music and some singers. The key is the repetitive nature of the audio or visual stimulation.

The repetitive nature of the stimulation becomes sort of trance inducing and acts as a sleep trigger.

My other help is gabapentin (Neurontin). It helps my mind and body 'let go' and relax. Otherwise, I go through cycles of muscle tension.

Yes, it is quite a job but once you find your system, it is a true blessing.

Pleasant dreams if you can.