NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Lyrica and bladder.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/155942-lyrica-bladder.html)

JB63 08-24-2011 05:14 PM

Lyrica and bladder....

I started Lyrica a week and a half ago, it was increased from 50 2 x a day to 100 2 x a day on Monday. This morning, several hours after taking my dose I became very sleepy. I do not normally nap, but I did go to msleep. I woke up about 90 mins later and found I had been incontinent of urine big time. Well this is no fun:p:p.

Doc decreased the dose and wanted me to call her immediately if it happened again.

Anyone else have to shop for depends while test driving this med?

JB

Dr. Smith 08-25-2011 07:54 AM

Not personally (I was on it a short time several years ago & found other sx to be intolerable) but it's a known, albeit rare, side effect.

Google: lyrica incontinence

I am surprised your doctor's response was to increase your dosage. :eek: :confused:

Doc

JB63 08-25-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 799060)
Not personally (I was on it a short time several years ago & found other sx to be intolerable) but it's a known, albeit rare, side effect.

Google: lyrica incontinence

I am surprised your doctor's response was to increase your dosage. :eek: :confused:

Doc

Did google, but it seems to be a rare side effect indeed, I should clarify, I got the incontinence after the dose was increased. The doc lowered me down after I told her. I have had no problems since that episode, maybe it sedated me too much. Now that is a bit scary, to sleep through the urge to urinate or to be so relaxed I lose control. That old worn out saying that the house could have burned down around me. I did not like the stoned feeling I got that has since passed, and I do notice a significant reduction in fasiculations and that is reason enough to keep taking the med!:D I do not care for the sleepiness and shakes, but hopefully that will pass soon.

Dr. Smith 08-25-2011 09:49 AM

Mea Culpa

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB63 (Post 799080)
I should clarify, I got the incontinence after the dose was increased. The doc lowered me down after I told her.

You were clear; I misread it. A little foggy myself this morning (not Lyrica! :p )

IIRC, the stuff sedated me too much too, as well as a "dulling" effect in general. Not stoned - just dulled.

Hope the rest of your unpleasant sx resolve.

Doc

DVORA 08-26-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb63 (Post 798831)
i started lyrica a week and a half ago, it was increased from 50 2 x a day to 100 2 x a day on monday. This morning, several hours after taking my dose i became very sleepy. I do not normally nap, but i did go to msleep. I woke up about 90 mins later and found i had been incontinent of urine big time. Well this is no fun:p:p.

Doc decreased the dose and wanted me to call her immediately if it happened again.

Anyone else have to shop for depends while test driving this med?

Jb

---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
i am not yet on lyrica for my newly diagnosd fibromyalgia -- waiting till i get the spine shot monday --
-
but i have a neurogenic bladder from the ms and hydrocephalis --
but i stopped driving yrs ago --
-
i am sorry about your bed though --
i hope it is from the lyrica and not your illness --
-
that would be a very good thing --
-
shalom from dvora

JB63 08-27-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVORA65 (Post 799569)
---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
-
i am sorry about your bed though --
i hope it is from the lyrica and not your illness --
-
that would be a very good thing --
-
shalom from dvora

Doc is watching the pressure on my spinal cord, this could have been from that, but I am ok since the lower dose. hahahaha...my bed has a bullet proof vest on it as it has one of those pillow tops to protect.

mrsD 08-30-2011 02:16 PM

Here is what this informational site has reported:

http://www.drugcite.com/?q=Lyrica

While bladder incontinence is not listed per se, it could fall under other category... neurological.

Not a "fun" side effect at all. The decongestant family...has been used for urinary incontinence in animals. Phenylpropanolamine specifically. But that is no longer FDA approved for humans.

Pseudoephedrine is close... if you can tolerate the side effects you might try it to see if it helps the bladder sphincter get tighter. You have to ask for it now at most pharmacies and sign for it as it is now controlled to minimize methamphetamine labs' access.

JB63 08-31-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 800685)
Here is what this informational site has reported:

http://www.drugcite.com/?q=Lyrica

While bladder incontinence is not listed per se, it could fall under other category... neurological.

Not a "fun" side effect at all. The decongestant family...has been used for urinary incontinence in animals. Phenylpropanolamine specifically. But that is no longer FDA approved for humans.

Pseudoephedrine is close... if you can tolerate the side effects you might try it to see if it helps the bladder sphincter get tighter. You have to ask for it now at most pharmacies and sign for it as it is now controlled to minimize methamphetamine labs' access.

Ah yes, I remember now, a coworker telling me she took sinus meds at night to keep dry. I will try it. Right now I am up about 6 times a night to urinate, probably Lyrica related. My higher dose, 100 mgs is at bedtime. Not too good as I am ambulating without my braces to the toilet, holding on to grab bars and twel racks.:p

mrsD 08-31-2011 09:17 AM

Yes, spinal issues also.... cauda equina syndrome.

Compression could also affect the feet/legs.

JB63 08-31-2011 09:36 AM

Yes it's another brick in the wall...

The L/S spine does not show the herniations pressing on anything and the stenosis is moderate there, but the root nerves are compromised and inflamed. I wonder why predinsone hasn't been offered. I have to ask.:confused: