NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Running (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/156808-running.html)

freezerdoor 09-07-2011 06:10 PM

Running

I just figured out that my running problems are definitely visual. I can run as long as I cover my eyes. This poses an obvious problem though. :)

I did figure something out by putting a crocheted scarf around my head and peeked through only the little holes in the scarf to see. This worked!

I'm not sure what people will think when I run outside but I think I'll have to let them just figure it out for themselves because I'm running. :)

Mark in Idaho 09-07-2011 06:15 PM

Have you tried dark polarized sun glasses?

ConcussedJ 09-07-2011 06:56 PM

Not sure about the polarized glasses. I prefer the mental image of someone, out there, running around with a crocheted scarf over their eyes, like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

:) :)

freezerdoor 09-08-2011 12:39 PM

Ha!!!!

No, but I was thinking about that Mark. I'll try it! I will certainly look better!!

freezerdoor 09-08-2011 12:46 PM

BTW I have a neuro-opthametric evaluation planned for next week. prism glasses maybe? no idea.

pcslife 09-08-2011 04:11 PM

I have been going for the vision therapy for the past 2 months after the Neuro-optometric evaluation. Be prepared to go for few months. I haven't seen anything significant. Immediately after the therapy my dizziness is little less and all back to crap later.

chitowndizzy 09-09-2011 06:35 AM

Hey Freezerdoor, have you done vestibular therapy?

The problems you are having sound similar to what I went through. In vestibular therapy we started by walking slowly on a treadmill and looking at pictures in a magazine. Gradually we worked our way up to running on a treadmill while rearranging a deck of cards.

All of this stuff is super easy now, but at the time it was a real challenge. The idea was to retrain the brain to focus while bouncing up and down.

So I guess I'm saying maybe it's vestibular and vision?

freezerdoor 09-09-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitowndizzy (Post 803795)
Hey Freezerdoor, have you done vestibular therapy?

The problems you are having sound similar to what I went through. In vestibular therapy we started by walking slowly on a treadmill and looking at pictures in a magazine. Gradually we worked our way up to running on a treadmill while rearranging a deck of cards.

All of this stuff is super easy now, but at the time it was a real challenge. The idea was to retrain the brain to focus while bouncing up and down.

So I guess I'm saying maybe it's vestibular and vision?

I guess it could be?! I really don't know anything about this. I am never dizzy but I guess it could still be vestibular??

I just covered one eye instead of both. Just used a bandaid over one eye and was able to run for a half mile without any issue whatsoever, so i know it's the way the eyes are working in tandem. Could that still be vestibular? I think no, but i'm not sure i understand it all.

freezerdoor 09-13-2011 02:53 PM

I went to the optometrist and found out i have post traumatic vision disorder. We are going to do some therapy and give me glasses to help refocus one of my eyes.

freezerdoor 09-14-2011 10:59 PM

This shows how out-of-it I still am. I went to see an Opthalmologist not an Optometrist! It's been surprising how much she knows about concussion.