NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   # of concussions (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/157008-concussions.html)

rick92 09-11-2011 06:56 PM

# of concussions

anyone else get this from just one concussion?

all i seem to find is people that get pcs have had multiple concussions

roadrunner63 09-11-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick92 (Post 804513)
anyone else get this from just one concussion?

all i seem to find is people that get pcs have had multiple concussions

This was my one and only.

AllAmericanAmy 09-11-2011 10:35 PM

Hi Rick-

Hubby got TBI from one injury (downhill skiing Jan 2011).

I read some of your other posts and thought I'd say....

The eye blurring my hub also has. His eye dr. could tell his left eye was not tracking properly so hub has a prism on the left lens that helps some.

Physical Therapy started 10 days ago - they are working with him on balance issues primarily, but ALSO doing eye exercises, etc to help. His left eye "shimmies" sometimes when he is trying to visually track something. Was explained to us that the right eye is dominate and sends the info to the brain which passes info to the left eye --- that process is slowed down now due to brain damage, so the left eye is dragging.

Visually tracking objects - playing video games - eye exercises will all help to some degree.

The "fog" you complain of was helped by Zoloft (as were terrible headaches).

You asked if the MRI will show damage in eye or ear canal. No, but hub just finished a test with the Ear/Nose/Throat dr which I saw you had been referred to also.

They did several tests (took about an hour) testing his hearing and response time, etc. They were able to rule OUT any physical damange and, in their professional opinion, the damage is to the brain stem. They base this on the fact that one of the tests had clicking in ear - they track the sound to the brain stem, which then relays it to different parts of your brain (all of which they can track).

They have "normal" times for sound to arrive at brain stem and then process out. Hub is considerably below normal times. That is why it takes longer for things to process (sound, visual, etc) - as well as why fatigue is such a factor with a TBI.

Incidentally, we are hoping the tests from the ENT will help us with our private insurance long-term disability claim (they are procrastinating - haven't denied us or anything). The ENT said the tests he performed were conclusive and showed damaged processing that could NOT be faked. Maybe these tests could help others prove a claim with Governmental disability? Dunno

Sorry for the long post - hope some of it helps you!
Amy

Jinxicat9 09-12-2011 12:12 AM

Just one and one was all it took.

rick92 09-12-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllAmericanAmy (Post 804551)
Hi Rick-

Hubby got TBI from one injury (downhill skiing Jan 2011).

I read some of your other posts and thought I'd say....

The eye blurring my hub also has. His eye dr. could tell his left eye was not tracking properly so hub has a prism on the left lens that helps some.

Physical Therapy started 10 days ago - they are working with him on balance issues primarily, but ALSO doing eye exercises, etc to help. His left eye "shimmies" sometimes when he is trying to visually track something. Was explained to us that the right eye is dominate and sends the info to the brain which passes info to the left eye --- that process is slowed down now due to brain damage, so the left eye is dragging.

Visually tracking objects - playing video games - eye exercises will all help to some degree.

The "fog" you complain of was helped by Zoloft (as were terrible headaches).

You asked if the MRI will show damage in eye or ear canal. No, but hub just finished a test with the Ear/Nose/Throat dr which I saw you had been referred to also.

They did several tests (took about an hour) testing his hearing and response time, etc. They were able to rule OUT any physical damange and, in their professional opinion, the damage is to the brain stem. They base this on the fact that one of the tests had clicking in ear - they track the sound to the brain stem, which then relays it to different parts of your brain (all of which they can track).

They have "normal" times for sound to arrive at brain stem and then process out. Hub is considerably below normal times. That is why it takes longer for things to process (sound, visual, etc) - as well as why fatigue is such a factor with a TBI.

Incidentally, we are hoping the tests from the ENT will help us with our private insurance long-term disability claim (they are procrastinating - haven't denied us or anything). The ENT said the tests he performed were conclusive and showed damaged processing that could NOT be faked. Maybe these tests could help others prove a claim with Governmental disability? Dunno

Sorry for the long post - hope some of it helps you!
Amy

Thanks Amy that helped alot.

I had mine in Jan. of this year too. It was on the 29th.

Sounds like me and you husband are having alot of the same problems.

Im happy to hear that the ent can do tests like that to find somthing out.

Im seeing an ent in a week and hopefully he can help me out.

Im not really wanting to take an antidepressant but if it will help with the fog that sounds like it could be worth it.

Thanks again, ill be praying for yall

freezerdoor 09-12-2011 10:47 AM

Only one for me that i know of.

postconcussion 09-12-2011 11:18 AM

One concussion without loss of consciousness for me.

pcslife 09-20-2011 09:02 AM

I had only one in my life and sure did a number on me. Even in this article they talk about repeated concussions. Many experts are in Pittsburgh interestingly since it is a sports town?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/20/health...tml?hpt=hp_bn6

greenfrog 09-20-2011 09:40 AM

My concussion history:

- One previous diagnosed concussion, almost 20 years ago (I don't recall any significant or lasting PCS symptoms)

- Several other head impacts that I can recall, most many years ago in childhood/adolescence. I think at least one was a concussion, in that it produced a bit of wooziness and a headache that lasted for a day or two - unfortunately, this impact was pretty much at the same site as my current injury

So, in summary, I think I've had at least two prior concussions that occurred many years ago, plus a few possible impacts (also many years ago) that might have been subconcussive or even concussive. However, none of these impacts produced any major or lasting symptoms (ie, beyond a day or two).

I'm now at just over four months following my concussion this spring. I'm doing a lot better, but it's been a gradual recovery and I still have a ways to go.

parraline5750 09-20-2011 12:22 PM

I am sure that I have had a few sub-concussive impacts previously in life, but none were enough to make me have any symptoms save for thinking "ow" for a few seconds and then getting on with the task at hand.

Only the one really, lost consciousness (I am told) for 10-15 seconds, then got up and acted normal for about an hour, and then... I fell down? Yeah. Where? West 8. West 8, that's a weird place to fall down? Yup. This the first time I've crashed this year? Yeah.... I fell down? (wash, rinse, repeat). Ha.