NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Bilateral lumbar radiofrequency ablation (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/157185-bilateral-lumbar-radiofrequency-ablation.html)

DVORA 09-14-2011 06:31 AM

Bilateral lumbar radiofrequency ablation

Hi everyone - i am not new - just had my server go down and all my info gone --
-
i had an epidural spinal injection 2 weeks ago for herniated discs --
the injection itself went well tg --
-
but i got very little relief from back pain -
was sent to physical therapy and the therapist wanted me to try another shot first --
-
went back to spine clinic yesterday -
-
dr wants to do bilateral lumbar radiofrquency ablation --
-- basically burning the nerves at l2- l3 l4 l5 -- no nerves - no pain --
-
- first must do 2 sets of diagnostic injections calle branch blocks --
-
making sure that the right nerves will be killed --
-
i know nothing about this except this seems quite drastic to me and rather in a rush --
-
there will be no anesthetic for the first 2 sets of injections -- one week apart --
-
for the killing of the nerves there will be local lidocane --
valium before each procedure --
-
has anyone had this done --- pleas tell me - the good - the bad - and the ugly --
-
i am frightened and worried --
-
thanks for your help --- hope you have as pain free a day as possible -
-
dvora

Leesa 09-14-2011 07:26 AM

Hi ~ Yes, I've had this done. I was given "Versed" during this procedure, so I didn't have a clue what was going on. I was in "lala" land. LOL The procedure itself wasn't bad at all. It was over before it started! LOL When I woke up, I had some "aching" but it wasn't what I would call pain.

When I was sent home (same day) I was told to put ice on the area, which I did. It worked fine -- and i didn't really need any pain meds for THAT. I still took my regular pain meds for the regular pain.

After a couple of days, I was fine. No more aching/soreness.

I should tell you that this burning of the nerves is just TEMPORARY. The nerves grow back, and it's possible that the pain will come back too. Nerves grow back at the AVERAGE rate of one inch per month. When I had this done, I didn't get ANY relief from it at all. He was SURE he hit the right nerves, as he'd done some sort of 'test' previously -- I can't remember what it was. I never got any relief from the injections either.

I hope this helps you -- temporary relief is better than none at all. Best of luck & God bless. Hugs, Lee

racee 09-14-2011 02:41 PM

yes i had this done back in april. it worked 70% on my right side and nothing on my left. although post i know get zaps that go down the middle of my butt and dull ache onset pain that lasts for a few hours. which is new symptoms. the only thing i can think of is the nerve growing back.
for me not worth doing it again

DVORA 09-14-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racee (Post 805443)
yes i had this done back in april. It worked 70% on my right side and nothing on my left. Although post i know get zaps that go down the middle of my butt and dull ache onset pain that lasts for a few hours. Which is new symptoms. The only thing i can think of is the nerve growing back.
For me not worth doing it again

-
oh racee -- i am sorry you went through all that with so little relief for your pain --
-
thank youfor sharing with me --
dvora

DVORA 09-14-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesa (Post 805320)
hi ~ yes, i've had this done. I was given "versed" during this procedure, so i didn't have a clue what was going on. I was in "lala" land. Lol the procedure itself wasn't bad at all. It was over before it started! Lol when i woke up, i had some "aching" but it wasn't what i would call pain.

When i was sent home (same day) i was told to put ice on the area, which i did. It worked fine -- and i didn't really need any pain meds for that. I still took my regular pain meds for the regular pain.

After a couple of days, i was fine. No more aching/soreness.

I should tell you that this burning of the nerves is just temporary. The nerves grow back, and it's possible that the pain will come back too. Nerves grow back at the average rate of one inch per month. When i had this done, i didn't get any relief from it at all. He was sure he hit the right nerves, as he'd done some sort of 'test' previously -- i can't remember what it was. I never got any relief from the injections either.

I hope this helps you -- temporary relief is better than none at all. Best of luck & god bless. Hugs, lee

--
oh nooo -- no relief from anything they did -- how awful --
-
do you know if anyone gets relief ?
-
i am in a position where the physical therapist is insisting on more treatment -- or she is afraid to help --
-
- the cardiologist will not clear me for disc surgery --
-the nero srgeon said that is the only way he can help --
-
he is refusing to release me from my hard shell brace unless i do the shots and burning of the nerves --
--
i am so unsure -- maybe i should just live with the brace and the pain --
-
but it has become virtually impossible to care for the baby this way --
-
and my husband is losing patience rather regularly --
apparently this is not how he envisioned his retirement --
--
i hope you are as best as you can be -
thanks for sharing your story --
-
shalom from dvora

aussiemom 09-14-2011 08:34 PM

My pain doc wants me to do the RFA too. I'm not going to. I've just heard too many horror stories, and it may/ is temporary. Phooey. If I'm going to do that, I want it fixed! I'll hold on for surgery!

DVORA 09-16-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 805549)
My pain doc wants me to do the RFA too. I'm not going to. I've just heard too many horror stories, and it may/ is temporary. Phooey. If I'm going to do that, I want it fixed! I'll hold on for surgery!

--
hi aussiemom -- i am going to the deuk spine institute in florida -- maybe you are too ?
-
my dh said maybe they are have a sale on this procedure --
-
i have been wondering if anyone that has burned the nerves also has ms -- because i am pretty sure there are ms leisions in them --
-
also wwas wondering if with ms if my nerves will grow back ?
-
even more peculiar question --
everytime i am poked and proded during exams i feel even more pain and inflamation --
-
does this happen to any of you ?
-
take care of yourselves ... dvora