NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   ? gag reflex - taking capsules (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/15723-gag-reflex-taking-capsules.html)

Lara 03-17-2007 05:20 PM

? gag reflex - taking capsules

Almost embarrassed to ask this question but it is really important. It's just that I'm so against pulling apart capsules.

Daughter has really bad gag reflex. Extremely difficult for her to take tablets and things. I don't really understand it, cause she can eat just fine lol :confused:

I need to know if it's really OK to break a capsule (cephalexin) and for her to mix it in small amount of liquid. It's the only way she can get it down. I'm really against breaking up capsules but I wondered if with an antibiotic it's not as bad as with some other types of meds.? If it is ok to do this, would it matter what type of liquid it was? Like would acidity of orange juice have some effect on the powder? It is imperative she takes this medication.

mrsD 03-17-2007 07:27 PM

applesauce or pudding...

Keflex (cephalexin) can be taken with food.

Try putting the capsule in a teaspoonful of applesauce or pudding..and slurp it down...first without opening. The applesauce sort of greases the way...if you get my drift? ;)

It tastes terrible--the powder, but can be hidden in pudding if you open it.
I did mix cephalexin in tuna in oil for one of my old cats once. She ate it up!
A fatty food helps. Like ice cream. Take a few tastes of the ice cream/pudding,
then the one with the drug, then a chaser. The fat coats the tongue and
blunts the taste pretty well. It fooled our fussy cat!

Chemar 03-18-2007 08:09 AM

Lara
when my son was younger and has difficulty swallowing all the supplements he had to take., I learned about giving them to him with liquid sipped from a straw instead of straight from the glass

I tried it and it worked!

dont know if this will help with what your daughter experiences but worth a try maybe

razzle51 03-18-2007 01:00 PM

medications

I was told taking big pills like that and not being able to swallow is your throat is kind of swelled up . A ENT told me to take Prilosece and now I can swollow the biggest pill ever . Just a thought

Lara 03-18-2007 04:08 PM

I don't think she's got any inflammation or reflux, razzle. It's something she's done all her life. My son too. I think it's actually something else. Maybe oc related. She has this "thing" about her neck for some reason. Has intrusive thoughts, grabs her neck. awful for her really. : (

Guess what? She got a whole one down last night!

I never thought of the straws, that'd stop it going all over her mouth. Gosh, we have boxes of straws here just for that purpose if drinking a coke or something. They're very pretty straws too! lol

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, mrsd, Chemar and razzle --- I think we're making progress!

mrsD 03-18-2007 06:32 PM

alot has to due with thought...

That is great that your daughter is getting the hang.

You know, I tried to take my gigantic B-complex vitamin yesterday with
my lukewarm tea...and gag! It was first thing in the morning, and I had some
sinus issues too...you know...gag....So I waited and took it with cool water
instead.

I find that cold liquids help.

If all else fails, cephalexin does come in liquid you know.
The 500mg caps are pretty big after all.;)