NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   aargh...Norton HELP!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/157306-aargh-norton-help.html)

zygopetalum 09-15-2011 05:58 PM

aargh...Norton HELP!!!

I tried to be good and update my Norton stuff and now I have apparently messed that up. I don't know if there is any help for this one.

Two things appeared, or else I found them and thought they needed an update. 'Norton Download Manager' and something else that I have forgotten what it was called. I tried to download them and a little short cut icon appeared' (?) 'Download Manager 1 and 2, ditto the other thing. I may have downloaded each twice, I couldn't find 'run' or 'execute' and thought I lost them. I got a pop up that said 'another download manager is currently running, please try again later' so left computer online for several hours in hopes something was happening. A new icon appeared after that I think. I clicked again and it said download manager is running, click cancel to download or install (?) new one I think. Did that and it said it couldn't do it and directed me to Norton site to pick out what I needed to download. Download manager was not offered as a choice. Went to help site but it wants an account and I don't have one as my sister purchased the Norton. It said I could open a free account but did not know Id get info or if they'd want $.

Questions are do you think I messed up and uninstalled download manager? I don't know how to find out. Should I open an account or try to mascarade as sister, she cant remember what password she used but I think her email is the same and I might get the secret word. Should I just yell at her and make her come over and fix everything?:D I have such a mess I don't know what to do.
Zygo

Jomar 09-22-2011 11:06 PM

I'm not familiar at all with Norton, if sister is not too far away I'd ask her to help on this one.

I will change your title so other members that know about Norton might be able to help.

Chemar 09-23-2011 07:44 AM

I will never ever use Norton again!
Twice now it messed up my computer with its updates. Since getting rid of it (and using the free Microsoft Security Essentials) my computer is running better than ever. Some problems I was having never even occurred to me that it could have been Norton causing them!
I have heard the same from some other people.

zygopetalum 10-04-2011 02:06 PM

salvation

My sister is coming tomorrow, boy is she in for it. I did manage to update Hp successfully but have several more in the wings in addition to the Norton mess.

I was interested in your Norton comments, Chemar, mine does a few little weird things and am wondering if that is a factor.
Zygo:)