NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Applying for SSDI (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/157803-applying-ssdi.html)

Catch 09-23-2011 09:39 AM

Applying for SSDI

I applied for disability. I also applied for state disability. State DI kicks in after you have one week off work and lasts up to a year. The federal DI will kick in after that. At least that's how I understand it. I've already sent the paperwork to my Docs. I spoke with them about it and they see no reason why I couldn't get DI, at least partial.

Someone from SSDI called me yesterday and asked a bunch of questions, and since I am still working, even though my duties have been significantly reduced, I don't qualify and it will be denied. I'll have to resubmit my application to the feds again when I stop working.

Since both of us knew I couldn't do my job any more, I worked out a deal with my current boss where they would keep me on until I found another job. To my knowledge they haven't even placed an ad for my position. I want to be good to them as well, and give them a chance to hire someone. Now my only question is when do I quit? (and how do I get over the sense of failure?)

SallyC 09-23-2011 11:54 AM

You are not a failure!!! *Smack*:D

You've put yourself between a rock and a hard place, though, by telling Boss you wouldn't leave until someone was hired. You should set a time limit, whether you find a job or not. That way you will know the date to file SSDI.

Good Wishes..:hug:

doydie 09-23-2011 03:15 PM

We have a good SSD forum here. Just go to the menu at the bottom of the page and click on the scrolling menu.

No, you can't apply for SSD while working. After being accepted they do have a 'back to work' program. i can't remember what it is. You can also work a minimum amount of hours and still get your check but by doing that I would think when it comes up for renewal it wouldn't look very good for you.

Good luck. You are not a failure for having to think about going this way. Life happens and it just got in your way. I am so much healthier since being on SSD. It has let me do so many things that I just didn't have time to do when I was working. But first I had to get healthy which I wasn't doing when I was working. I do remember how I felt when I got my award letter. Those words really hit me hard that the federal government found me permanently disabled. That's a hard kick in the chest.

goldie 09-24-2011 01:50 AM

I know this is a very hard time for you, I was defined by my career and felt like I lost my identity when I could no longer work.
You WILL get past this, you WILL adjust - just hang in there - you are not a failure... you just have been given a different kind of challenge than what you expected.

Now about SSDI (I have no knowledge of state)...
one important thing - do NOT move down to part time work before stopping work.
The decrease in pay will hurt you forever - SSDI is based on your income over a certain number of years, if you decrease your income you will get less.

You have to be unemployed due to disability for 6 months to qualify, and you have to be expected to never be able to work again. Apply as soon as you qualify - it is a long process.

Don't be surprised if they deny you at first, sometimes they deny vrey ill people - just appeal. Don't give up.

DO as much research as possible before filling out the paperwork, and try to get a trusted person to help you if you need it. The paperwork is difficult to deal with when you're feeling bad.

Don't hire a lawyer unless your appeal is denied - they take a pretty big chunk for their fee - having said that, they could be the key to getting approved.

Best of luck to you - hang in there! :grouphug:

Note:
If anything I've said here is out-dated, someone please correct me, it's been over 10 years since I did this.