NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   representative payee (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/158169-representative-payee.html)

rod_1965 09-28-2011 03:56 PM

representative payee

hi everyone I have a question im not sure you could answer or been in this situacion..I just got my fully favorable decision for SSDI..while im am very happy with the decision im disturbed.my question is concerning somenthing at the end of the decision..it states: it is recommended that a determination be made concerning the appointment of a representative payee who can manage payments in the claimants interest...now that said,I am fully capable of managing my money and that subject did not even come up at the hearing..what are my options here? I dont need a payee..if i refuse am I endangering my benefits? thank you for reading this and hope someone has gone through this. Update: well i called the 1800 number and the nice lady told me that my local office is the one that has the power to change the status of a payee she basically told me to go to my meeting and take my mom for example. and just talk and be real nice to the person that is interviewing me and bring up the subject about me being fully capable of managing my own affairs and have my mom agree. she said its imperative that i take someone so i dont seem rude to their instructions because if not they can assign anyone they like as a payee if someone is not with me..im gonna pray the person at ssa changes their mind.

Dmom3005 09-28-2011 05:17 PM

I would talk to the SSI office that you deal directly with. If you can answer any of the questions they ask. Then you wouldn't need a representative payee. The only other reason I can think of they would have thought you need one is if they think you might not pay your bills and waste your money instead. And then not have a roof over your head.

donna:grouphug:

rod_1965 09-28-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmom3005 (Post 810168)
I would talk to the SSI office that you deal directly with. If you can answer any of the questions they ask. Then you wouldn't need a representative payee. The only other reason I can think of they would have thought you need one is if they think you might not pay your bills and waste your money instead. And then not have a roof over your head.

donna:grouphug:

hello and thanks for the reply.I just got a letter from the local office telling me of a coming appointment and that i need to bring in someone to be my payee well im really mad at this but I still dont know what my options are and cannot get ahold of my lawyer..of course my lawyer is going to get paid so she probably does not care about that..thanks again.

LIT LOVE 09-28-2011 10:32 PM

Do you have a relative that you could bring that would be supportive of you handling your own funds? What about your doc's opinion?

If you do gain control of the funds, please don't use your backpay to pay off debt collectors, if you've accumulated bad debts while waiting. Just don't mix non-SSD funds in the same bank account to safeguard your money.

rod_1965 09-29-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 810252)
Do you have a relative that you could bring that would be supportive of you handling your own funds? What about your doc's opinion?

If you do gain control of the funds, please don't use your backpay to pay off debt collectors, if you've accumulated bad debts while waiting. Just don't mix non-SSD funds in the same bank account to safeguard your money.

hi and thanks for your advice LIT LOVE..I will be taking my mother to the meeting and she said she will agree that I have been handling my money just fine,I also talked to my doctor and he said that he would write a letter on my behalf basically saying that i can handle my financial affairs..I am going to file for bankrupcy very soon so im hoping my collectors dont get into that money, thanks so much for taking the time to read this and giving me some great advice, please take care.

LIT LOVE 09-29-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod_1965 (Post 810560)
hi and thanks for your advice LIT LOVE..I will be taking my mother to the meeting and she said she will agree that I have been handling my money just fine,I also talked to my doctor and he said that he would write a letter on my behalf basically saying that i can handle my financial affairs..I am going to file for bankrupcy very soon so im hoping my collectors dont get into that money, thanks so much for taking the time to read this and giving me some great advice, please take care.

There is likely no reason for you to file bankruptcy. Your SSD monthly income and backpay can't be garnished by creditors and/or collection agencies to whom you have old debts with even if they go to court and receive a judgement against you. The only exception is if you committed fraud--and then bankruptcy wouldn't protect you either!

Bad debts stay on your credit reports 7 years starting when you first became delinquent and made no more payments. If you make even a $1 payment, this restarts the clock.

A bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for 10 years, with the starting date beginning when you file.

So, let's say you have a credit card bill you stopped paying when you became disabled in January of 2007, it will stop hurting your credit in January of 2014. If you file for bankruptcy next month, that same debt will hurt your credit until 2021!

Utilize the free information in the forums at the link below:

http://creditboards.com/forums/

What are you trying to accomplish by filing for bankruptcy?

rod_1965 09-29-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 810585)
There is likely no reason for you to file bankruptcy. Your SSD monthly income and backpay can't be garnished by creditors and/or collection agencies to whom you have old debts with even if they go to court and receive a judgement against you. The only exception is if you committed fraud--and then bankruptcy wouldn't protect you either!

Bad debts stay on your credit reports 7 years starting when you first became delinquent and made no more payments. If you make even a $1 payment, this restarts the clock.

A bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for 10 years, with the starting date beginning when you file.

So, let's say you have a credit card bill you stopped paying when you became disabled in January of 2007, it will stop hurting your credit in January of 2014. If you file for bankruptcy next month, that same debt will hurt your credit until 2021!

Utilize the free information in the forums at the link below:

http://creditboards.com/forums/

What are you trying to accomplish by filing for bankruptcy?

while im not a fan of filing bankrupcy I have been harassed so much by creditors that is not helping my state of mind for sure I will see what my options are thanks for the advice.

LIT LOVE 09-30-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod_1965 (Post 810631)
while im not a fan of filing bankrupcy I have been harassed so much by creditors that is not helping my state of mind for sure I will see what my options are thanks for the advice.

There are ways to get them to stop bothering you without resorting to bankruptcy.

How old are your debts, when was the last time you made payments? What state do you you live in? Send your answers by pm if you prefer.

I can help with the basics, but there are advocates that will help you deal with these matters if it comes to that!

rod_1965 10-04-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 810676)
There are ways to get them to stop bothering you without resorting to bankruptcy.

How old are your debts, when was the last time you made payments? What state do you you live in? Send your answers by pm if you prefer.

I can help with the basics, but there are advocates that will help you deal with these matters if it comes to that!

thanks again some of this debts are old so maybe i can get rid of them I will look and see maybe i can seek help with that so I dont have to file bankrupcy..update on representative question: thank you all for your responses I went to my SSA appointment today and I had a letter from my doctor..the lady said that was good enough so she said i dont need a payee im very happy but sad that I am now officially disabled..I wish i could work but at least I will be able to get the help I need thanks again for your support and the time you took to respond to my questions.

Hoosier_Daddy 10-04-2011 07:26 PM

Really not a big deal at keast not to me. My wife is my payee. I won on mental issues and my lawyer said not to make waves and accept it. It was over 2 years ago and there is no issues at least with us. all it meanis is she takes the money out. I can do money matters online but I cant take money out in person. Just do not make too many waves. Good luck!