NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Oh, the HORROR!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/159527-oh-horror.html)

Kitty 10-21-2011 08:03 AM

Oh, the HORROR!!!

Got up this morning all ready for my hot cup of coffee and guess what? :mad: The button I press to make my coffee maker brew coffee popped off when I pressed it! :eek: Luckily, the thing still brewed a pot of coffee but I'm out of luck for tomorrow morning. Guess it'll have to be tea for me until I can get another one.

I'm sure I'll cave under the pressure and buy a cheap-o one at Publix until I can get a better one. But the one that just broke was a cheap-o one - well, it was a Mr. Coffee - but it only cost about $20 and it lasted for nearly 2 years.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good model that will last but doesn't require new car financing type payments?

kicker 10-21-2011 08:27 AM

OMG! Condolences.

Kitty 10-21-2011 08:30 AM

This sorta reminds me of when Cindy's coffee maker passed on and she got Joe! :D

tkrik 10-21-2011 10:24 AM

Kelly - Are you able to get the button back on somehow? Or are you able to still push where the button was? That way you can still have coffee tomorrow or hold you over until you get a new coffee maker.

As for brands, we've had both Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker. We just got a new one as our old one stopped brewing (Mr. Coffee). We got a Black & Decker one and so far like it. DD21 has a Keurig (sp?) and she loves it. She has the dispenser where you can put your own coffee in it as it saves her money.

karousel 10-21-2011 02:39 PM

No coffee -- Yikes!!!

I usually just buy the cheap coffee pots and when the break I end up going and buying another cheap one! Luckily I have my 8 cup one that I keep for family parties to fall back on until I can get to the store. I've had that one for 20 years!!! It's a Krup but much too large for just me. I did have a 4 cup Krup that lasted many, many years before it started to act up.

ginnie 10-21-2011 03:20 PM

Re: old standby

I found a great coffee maker with just one switch, on and off, very inexpensive at walmart and it does great. No fancy lights, timing or anything else. sometimes simple is the best. ginnie

Aarcyn 10-21-2011 05:13 PM

Cuisinart. Great coffee maker, has lasted for 5 years now. Mesh coffee strainer so no more expense except coffee, of course! no paper strainers.

We probably bought it at Kohls, or Bed, Bath, Beyond. It has more bells/whistles but other than a timer to start the coffee before we get up, don't use them.

The difference in a coffee maker was startling. I never knew how bad my other maker was until this one.

SallyC 10-21-2011 08:38 PM

Are you peeps talking about plain old ordinary coffee, or the fancy smancy flavored kind, like molcha supreme and stuff?

I don't like or drink coffee, anymore, but the flavored coffees taste pretty good.:)

aussiemom 10-21-2011 09:05 PM

I have a Krupps also. Love it! This one is about 3 yo, one prior lasted about 7-8 years.

TwoKidsTwoCats 10-21-2011 09:24 PM

I figured out a trick when our electricity was off for a week... we had to have coffee!! I boiled the amount of water we usually used for 2 mugs on the gas stove... put the coffee in the Mr. Coffee as usual. Mine has a lid that opens up on top, so I poured the hot water directly onto the coffee in the filter. It takes a little longer to do it that way, but gravity pulls the water through the coffee grounds and it drips into the pot.:)