NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   What pillow do you use? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/160012-pillow.html)

MarcS 10-30-2011 11:44 AM

What pillow do you use?

Hi all!

I was just wondering what kind of pillow you guys sleep with?
I find it hard to find a good pillow that supports my neck during sleep..
I often wake up with a sore neck :confused:

Thanks

Jomar 10-30-2011 11:49 AM

For me - the generic contour memory foam ones work well.

mspennyloafer 10-30-2011 11:56 AM

i have to use a towel

my neck is really messed up, using a pillow "turns it on"

chroma 10-30-2011 01:18 PM

When I'm on my back, I use towels too. Two small ones folded in half stacked on each other. Then a third folded in four, placed under the neck.

The neat thing about towels is that you can configure the thickness and shape til you find what you need.

On my side, I use a really tall foam memory pillow on top of the towels. All that space between the shoulder and head has to be filled in so your head can be in a neutral position.

I also found that I was unconsciously tensing my neck while laying down. Not sure what that's all about, but I monitor for it and release it.

HTH

ginnie 10-30-2011 01:53 PM

Hi marks

I sleep with a wedge after two spinal fusions. I also keep a contour memory foam one beside it, when I just can't stand being on my back any more. Both work really good for me. ginnie

MarcS 11-01-2011 12:26 PM

thanks for your replies everybody :)

I've just ordered a tall large memory pillow. I hope that will help.

bunz50 11-02-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcS (Post 820757)
thanks for your replies everybody :)

I've just ordered a tall large memory pillow. I hope that will help.

I tried the wedge and memory foams to no avail, then my Dr. recommended a water pillow it is wonderful and very comfy on the neck, I ordered thur my PT for around $60.00 plus tax.
Bunz

SD38 11-02-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunz50 (Post 821057)
I tried the wedge and memory foams to no avail, then my Dr. recommended a water pillow it is wonderful and very comfy on the neck, I ordered thur my PT for around $60.00 plus tax.
Bunz

As well as A/VTOS I have issues with C3-C4, facet joint sclerosis.
If you're saying that a water pillow is good than I have an idea......... Gonna try to place a water bottle under my neck/base of skull as well as my usual pillows.
Watch this space.... I'll let you know how I do with it.:winky:

ginnie 11-02-2011 11:26 AM

Hello bunz

Are you herinated in your spine? The wedge is a bit stiff, but it keeps my neck straight. I think the water pillow soundslike a good idea to try. There is also memory foam with various shapes, to contour your neck to it. Hollows in the middle and so forth. There are some speciality magazinesout there who sell these specialized pillows.I have never seen those pillows like in BedBath and Beyond. Only in the magazines. I sure hope those who have pillow trouble can find some comfort. There is nothing worse than your neck and head hurting while you are trying to sleep. I hope you find something for that good nights sleep. ginnie I am fused C3-7

bunz50 11-04-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 821123)
Are you herinated in your spine? The wedge is a bit stiff, but it keeps my neck straight. I think the water pillow soundslike a good idea to try. There is also memory foam with various shapes, to contour your neck to it. Hollows in the middle and so forth. There are some speciality magazinesout there who sell these specialized pillows.I have never seen those pillows like in BedBath and Beyond. Only in the magazines. I sure hope those who have pillow trouble can find some comfort. There is nothing worse than your neck and head hurting while you are trying to sleep. I hope you find something for that good nights sleep. ginnie I am fused C3-7

Hi ginnie, I am fused from C4-C7, since my fusion C3-4 herniated and have osteophytes on multi levels, TOS, as well I suffer with L2-L5 disc bulging. I do not sleep well at all, pain and bi-laterial radiculopathy all nite long. I find the wedge too firm and uncomfortable for me, and the memory foam does not hold its shape well, where with the water pillow you fill it too your desired amt, whether you like a softer or firmer pillow, I had to order a 2nd one for the hubby he loves it as well. Good luck, Bunz