NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Do any of you deal with allergies and what symptoms? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/16002-deal-allergies-symptoms.html)

dreambeliever128 03-21-2007 07:10 PM

Do any of you deal with allergies and what symptoms?

Last week I started dealing with a runny nose, CF, and the top of my head felt funny down to my eyes. I know I have allergies. Have for several years. I went in yesterday and got a flu shot and forgot to ask my nurse how long it takes allergy shots to work and and how long the work. Do any of you have any ideal?

I see a difference in my head and eyes but I still have the runny nose and the CF. I haven't dealt with the CFS this bad for quite awhile.

I am doing nothing different with meds and I do take my walks even though I feel this way but in the afternoon and night I am so tired I can't think straight. I know I might be overdoing it with all I have going on around here but this started before I started overdoing it.

Thanks,
Ada

artist 03-23-2007 08:39 PM

Hi Ada,

Yes I have a few allergies - it's odd, never had any till I passed 30.

Eczema in my ears, permanent hay fever when HK gets too polluted - it's a problem here in Hong Kong, not from us, but from the industrial plants over the border in Mainland China. I can get a reaction to cats if there are too many or I'm with them for too long (shame, I love cats!), also to the metal used in cheap jewellery - that one's instantaneous, my skin comes right up in red welts. So...nothing too terrible.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that last year I went on 2 courses of antibiotics for eradication of the bacteria causing stomach ulcer. I never take them if I can help it. But to my surprise, my permanent hay fever is signicantly better since taking them....go figure...

I know you're embarking on Herculean tasks of moving and sorting, and you've got surgery coming up - along with all the terrible stresses in recent months...I really wish you all the very best, and really admire your strength and perseverance. Good for you, Ada, you're doing brilliantly.

BTW, one thing that helped with the hay fever was Nasonex, a sniffer spray. the active ingredient is mometasone furoate. Perhaps that might give you some relief, it certainly helped with the blocked nose,

all the best, Ada :)

buckwheat 03-23-2007 08:57 PM

Dear Ada,

I have had allergies my whole life. I also take Nasonex which helps some. I wonder it my lastest eye problems are due to allergies.:confused:

Well here is a asthma trial.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00266851 Hugs, Roz

dreambeliever128 03-24-2007 02:35 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

I got a flu shot Monday and it hasn't done anything for my runny nose and cronic fatigue.

It's raining here today. I got quite a bit packed but we can't take it over due to the rain. As much snow as we have had this winter I am wondering if we are going to have flooding around here.

I am allergic to cats also, Artist. I itch all over from them. I had one when I was small and don't remember being allergic though. Every once in awhile the boys will try and sneak one in and I start itching. Dustin did about a year ago and hid it and I started itching. He noticed and took it out.

My allergies just came on since I have moved to the country so I am hoping I might see a difference when I get in town.

Thanks for the help, I will try the Nasonex, I sure get tired of my runny nose.

Ada

InHisHands 03-25-2007 02:04 PM

Ada, I am assuming you mean seasonal allergies and not food allergies?

I have some food allergies: several kinds of nuts (they make my mouth and throat itch and give me headaches), preservatives sometimes make my face itchy/ red...

Seasonal allergies~ I have never really had a problem with them except last year... the Spring leading up to this RSD attack- all of a sudden whenever I would go outside my legs, arms/ hands would break out terribly, itch, burn and I'd have rashes all over. My Dr chalked it up to a really high pollen/ dry spring, and gave me allergy meds.. Well, I think to this day that that was all related to the RSD. I think my body just went nuts over-reacting to everything (RSD is overactive nerves, and the body in a fight/flight response mode)... I think it's all related but who knows! In a way it makes me think that RSD really is immune AND neurological, as the RSDSA states.

I hope you are feeling well. You really amaze me, that you take walks in with the hip/ pelvic pain. You are an inspiration! :hug: You mentioned that you think your RSD is going in remission? That's great! What makes you think that- have you lost symptoms, etc? Because I had a good experience the other day that really gave me hope- I didn't have much- no pain in my lower arms/ hands and my symptoms are a lot less in my hands/ arms... MAYBE!! Now to deal with the shoulders/ back/ legs/ feet!!

Sending warm hugs! :hug:

dreambeliever128 03-25-2007 03:19 PM

Hi Inhishands,

I do mean seasonal allergies. As I stated I got a allergy shot last week but am still dealing with the runny nose. I didn't have allergies until I got RSD. Now I have the seasonal allergies and am allergic to a lot of meds and foods. I too think it's from the RSD.

The reason I have my RSD in remission has been the care I have had. As soon as I was diagnosed with it my PCP went to work on it. He started giving me the meds I needed, getting the blocks for me, put me in PT, gave me triggerpoint injections which I swear by.

I have a PCP that has no meaning of the word quit. He was determined to get me through this so I saw him weekly and still do to deal with the councelling, pain and whatever else I have to deal with. Now comes the VNS for depression.

My belief is that RSD is not something that the Drs. can just give you a few meds and see you just when they are needed refilled and be done with it. I believe that is why we are not seeing any kind of good remission rate with RSD. We realize you don't get well from it, and I don't know many that have it and can work, but again there are some of them out there.

I believe that it is a syndrome that takes so much care that the Drs. don't want to deal with it due to the fact that insurance companies donot want to keep paying for the length of time it takes to get better from it.

I don't see many people that get the triggerpoint injections at all. The few that do only get a few and then feel like they don't work because they can't get enough to calm down the pain. Dr. Hooshmand talks about them in his book often and they are one of the most important things that has taken my pain away. I swear by the blocks to and again you see people only getting one or two even it they show signs of working. It takes a series of them to work.

I have mine calmed down in the arms, hands, legs, back, chest, neck, and seeing some improvement now in the pelvic area from triggerpoint injections. There are also Physcial Therapist that do pelvic pain therapy. I have my foot calmed down due to shots and my hands and fingers.

This surgery scares me because of the fact that it may go into my head area but my PCP says he's ready and the surgeon says he will do everything he can to keep it from happening short of a block. They can't do one in that area.

I think about the wonderful people we have here on this forum and the fact that they cannot get the real good help they need to get better. If I had one wish I would wish for them to get the kind of care I have been blessed with.
It's sad to see so many good people in so much pain and suffering.

I have to go I have to make one more trip today to my other place.
Thanks for the help.
Ada

InHisHands 03-25-2007 06:08 PM

Wow, Ada. I am glad you are doing better RSD wise and that you Dr did so much for you!

How much PT did you do? Did you lose movement at all before you were dx?

Just wondering which meds you were on for the RSD? Are you still on them, and do you plan on trying to wean from them if the RSD is totally in remission?

Sorry, don't know this -what are trigger point injections? :confused:

I hope you don't mind my tons of questions. I am soooo happy for you!!:D :hug:

dreambeliever128 03-25-2007 06:52 PM

Hi,

This is kind of what Hooshmand says in his book about trigger points. He says they are a reflexion of referred pain, which is typical of RSD. They have been reconized in RSD since the 1940's.

The triggerpoint injections are given in the managment of RSD. It's not just a temporary relief of pain. It disrupts and interferes with the repetitive input of hyperpathic pain. It also helps relaxation of the muscles.

My Dr. has used Lidocaine, Mericaine, Zylocaine which I believe they are all the same just different names and he has also used Ketamine.

He tried me on every med going. I got the Neurontin, Oxycontin, Fentenal, Moraphine, you name it. I couldn't do any med he tried me on. We finally did Methadone and I like it.

I am back down on my Methadone. I do 1/2 of a 5mg. 3 times a day and if I wake up in the middle of the night I might take another half. I can't get the edge off of the pelvic pain because of the Interstital Cystitis. I do use Lidocaine in my bladder. I also have some RSD pain still going on in the pelvic area, just enough that I can't get off of that little bit of meds.

I did lose movement in my right arm. It was so bad I cried for them to cut if off for a long time. It did take us quite awhile to get it calm down but I had to have the 4 surgeries to get my use of it back. I still have TOS in the right arm and triggerfinger syndrome along with CTS and Radial Tunnel Syndrome but I had triggerpoint shots to get my fingers calmed down. My hand surgeon isn't wanting to do the surgery on my fingers because of the RSD if he can help it. I still deal with the RSD pain when the barometer changes. Then it's very hard to get it to calm down but if it gets too bad I go in and ask for shots.

I spent over 3 years in PT 2 times a week. I started out with my back, then had it for TOS and then RSD and Fibro. I spent over a year in it for the RSD and Fibro. I had 2 of the best PT'ers. They are a husband and wife team that studied in Holland. She was the best. They did lots of deep massages, stretching my fingers and hands for the TOS and other arm problems, heat packs and myofasial release.

My Dr. took care of Bill and I for 17 years. The first 8 years for me was dealing with the tumors, surgeries and cancer issue and then the last has been for the RSD, Fibro, IC, TOS, and everything else.

There's just not enough good PM Drs. out there for people. They make so much money off of a person having them come back and forth and not getting them well and nowadays there are so many Cronic pain patients out there they know if they lose one 3 more will come.

Ada

Rainbow422 03-27-2007 12:46 PM

Intollerance

I donot have seasonal allergies persay, but I do have a severe wheat\gluten intollerance. This was found prior to the RSD diagnoses.

If I eat wheat, I get a severe migraine for 3-5 days and severe nausia. Before they caught it, I was having chonic pain from a car accident. I was diagnosed with cervical whiplash (totally not RSD related). I was getting migraines that last 3 weeks at a time (if you can even imagine the pain) and I was working through all of this approx, 60 hours a week.

Now that I removed wheat from my diet, that has all been relieved, funny how sometimes we just have to ellimate a small (but hard) thing from our diet to fix a cronic pain issue...

Just sharing I guess,

hugs,

Rain :grouphug:

InHisHands 03-31-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambeliever128 (Post 83043)
This is kind of what Hooshmand says in his book about trigger points. He says they are a reflexion of referred pain, which is typical of RSD. They have been reconized in RSD since the 1940's.

The triggerpoint injections are given in the managment of RSD. It's not just a temporary relief of pain. It disrupts and interferes with the repetitive input of hyperpathic pain. It also helps relaxation of the muscles.

Ada, did you find it worth the $$ for Dr Hooshmand's book? TIA.