NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   usual immuran dosages (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/160573-usual-immuran-dosages.html)

iwasanurse 11-09-2011 07:05 PM

usual immuran dosages

I have just been started on Immuran 50mg 3 times daily. I was wondering what are others dosages or the usual dosages and if it is ever increased.

Stellatum 11-09-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwasanurse (Post 823363)
I have just been started on Immuran 50mg 3 times daily. I was wondering what are others dosages or the usual dosages and if it is ever increased.

My doctor started me on 50 mg. twice a day, and after six months (he said we should have done this sooner) when several blood tests showed I am tolerating it well, he increased it to 150 mg. a day. He said the 100 mg. a day dose was actually the "little old lady dose," meaning, I suppose, the dose for small delicate people (I am neither).

I hope it works for you. I've been on it seven months and not had an improvement, but I can afford to give this a long trial, since I'm not that sick.

Abby

pingpongman 11-09-2011 09:19 PM

I was up to 250mg a day. I took Imuran for 11 months and my neuro decided it wasn't working so I just switched to Cellcept. While on Imuran I lost 30-35 pounds due to nausea and loss of appitite. During this period I was also on Mestinon and IVIG treatments about every 2 months.
Mike

catie 11-09-2011 09:40 PM

I was started on 25mg of Imuran and increased to 50 mg/day after about a week. I was never able to have my dose increased above 50mg/day because my white count dropped too low. I think the original plan was to increase my dose to 75 mg 2x/day. Make sure your bloodwork is being done at least once a month in the beginning. I hope that you're able to tolerate the Imuran and that it works for you.
Cate

tysondouglass 11-11-2011 12:07 AM

I started on 200mg a day and now am at 275 a day. I've never heard of using imuran as a 2 times a day drug...may want to question your doc about this. Getting blood work done for it is different when doing so, it may require a peak and trough level, after and before.

I am weaning off imuran to see if it is helping as I also take tacrolimus and prednisone.

pingpongman 11-11-2011 06:56 AM

When I was taking Imuran it was twice a day. 100mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening. I'm pretty sure the only thing it did for me was cause my weight loss.
Mike

Christy 11-11-2011 11:05 PM

75mg twice a day, along with as much mestion ( both timespan and 60mg) as needed. It took about 8 weeks to get past some of the strange side effects of Imuran, another 10/14 months for results. 2 years down the road I feel better, still have all symptoms. But.... To a lesser degree and spaced further apart. I can usually self regulate how well I feel and look with mestion. Laying flat while sleeping , and summertime are still problematic.

iwasanurse 11-12-2011 09:55 AM

I would like to thank you for all the responses and appreciate you very much.
Sharon