NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   straightenign arms out at sides (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/160575-straightenign-arms.html)

mspennyloafer 11-09-2011 08:01 PM

straightenign arms out at sides

can you all do this? i cannot

i actually tried doing it with my wrist flexed back (aka nerve glide). ive tried this many times IT ALWAYS CAUSES A FLARE and its been going on for over a year now. i assumed i wasn't ready to try this so i waited patiently but then this w/e

i did it while my neck wasn't in pain, relatively speaking pain free, no trigger points and it caused

-my first rib? to creep up i think. pain there
-burning around bp area
-then later burning up to c1 c2
-then a few trigger points (nothing bad tho)
-now my neck is tight as hell and i feel like i have more tos sx than ever.

does anyone have guesses what this means????????????!! am i never going to be able to straighten my arms at my sides again it is driving me insane.

chroma 11-10-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspennyloafer (Post 823389)
can you all do this? i cannot

i actually tried doing it with my wrist flexed back (aka nerve glide). ive tried this many times IT ALWAYS CAUSES A FLARE and its been going on for over a year now. i assumed i wasn't ready to try this so i waited patiently but then this w/e

i did it while my neck wasn't in pain, relatively speaking pain free, no trigger points and it caused

-my first rib? to creep up i think. pain there
-burning around bp area
-then later burning up to c1 c2
-then a few trigger points (nothing bad tho)
-now my neck is tight as hell and i feel like i have more tos sx than ever.

does anyone have guesses what this means????????????!! am i never going to be able to straighten my arms at my sides again it is driving me insane.

I can do it. When I pull the hands up, the TOS side hand is super tight. My neck felt a little tighter afterwards, but otherwise no problems.

I don't have any good guesses beyond what you could guess.

Coop42 11-10-2011 10:01 AM

That's one of the Intu-flow exercises I've been doing. I can do it pretty well now, but it took me a long, long time before I could do it without too much pain after. It stretches all the nerves away from your body, so you have to go real easy with that one at first.

mspennyloafer 11-10-2011 10:02 AM

yeah this is what makes my tos different than you guys..i bet most people here can straighten out their arms and extend wrists.

its a very weird sensation, the feeling you get doing that

mspennyloafer 11-10-2011 10:06 AM

another thing i dont get is on a day to day basis, i dont experience half the nerve sensations you all do, just fatigue and coldness now and a deep ache. which leads me to believe my neck can't be THAT tight.

mspennyloafer 11-10-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop42 (Post 823518)
That's one of the Intu-flow exercises I've been doing. I can do it pretty well now, but it took me a long, long time before I could do it without too much pain after. It stretches all the nerves away from your body, so you have to go real easy with that one at first.

do you remember how far your arm could go down the first time with your wrist flexed? was it really restricted

Coop42 11-10-2011 10:24 AM

I really don't flex my wrist much. I try to keep it pretty straight or it gets me into pain. My flexibility was horrible when I started the Intu-flow program. I really couldn't reach in any direction without pain after, but it's gradually improving. I think over the years a lot of my muscles got tight and stuck together and that's caused a lot of my pain.

SD38 11-10-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspennyloafer (Post 823519)
yeah this is what makes my tos different than you guys..i bet most people here can straighten out their arms and extend wrists.

its a very weird sensation, the feeling you get doing that

OMG. I've just given it a go and heard a loud crack from my shoulder then throbbing in my elbow.:eek:
I can do it but not without it feeling very tight!

Jomar 11-10-2011 11:58 AM

I can extend & raise Ok but shoulder is tight on the right side - lots of rep. tool use when I was working..

I can feel more overall restrictions when palm is up, prob the pec minor/fascia & whole front of that area.
Been lazy with my stretches/movement lately.:(

mspennyloafer 11-10-2011 03:03 PM

it must be my pec minor or shoulder area because i can flex my wrist with my arm hanging down at my side completely. it's tugging my wrist a tny bit but my nerves are extremely irritated right now.

whereas doing my arm with wrist extended from my side i only get to about 110 degrees or so (?).

so my new crazy theory is this, i do have tos but extending my arms out at my sides sets off some chain reaction to cause my neck to freak out, pulling on bp, irritating nerves thus irritating scalenes thus pulling up rib even more.

my neck now is more in protection mode than the actual cause of anything. im sure my pt will completely disagree with me, lol