NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/)
-   -   have you tried Cymbalta? (https://www.neurotalk.org/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue/16080-tried-cymbalta.html)

lou_lou 03-22-2007 06:34 PM

have you tried Cymbalta?

hello,
I have Parkinson's Disease, because of the pain and depression and anxiety,
in the neurodegeneration of PD -my Doc gave me Cymbalata for pain and depression.
In studying this - I found it was very helpful for Fibromyalgia.
Does anyone here take Cymbalta? this is the brand name for it in the USA.
thank you!
link
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=55350

fiberowendy2000 03-23-2007 07:06 AM

I took it for about 4 months. It did nothing for my pain and made my depression worse. Sorry to say it didn't work for me. Though I have heard it does work for others.
Good luck.

Doody 03-26-2007 06:27 PM

Hi there.

Yes, I take Cymbalta. I anxiously awaited the release of it because of the fibromyalgia. It's supposed to be good also for a few other problems that I can't remember at this time.

So I've been on it since it was released. I started slowly as I get pretty nasty reactions to a lot of SSRI's, though I know this isn't just an SSRI and is similar to Effexor...which I hated when I took it!

I started on 30 and eventually made my way to 90 mg/day. My doctor initially said that you had to get up to 60 mg for it to be helpful with the fibro. After awhile he bumped me up to 90 because the reps said that further testing showed that the pain relief was more effective at 90 mg.

Last year or so I started having problems with more depression than usual and even 'suicidal ideation'. I began to think it may be one of the meds I was taking. I stopped taking Ambien, mostly because for some reason it makes me sweat like crazy but also because I suspected it could be part of the reason for the problems.

Then I decided to drop my Cymbalta down to 60 mg/day. Since doing that, my depression let up quite a bit, and also the suicidal thoughts mostly went away. So if that is the reason, I couldn't possibly tell you.

I do think that it's helped with the fibro. Not entirely, but has helped. When I dropped on the doseage, I noticed very very familiar fibro things that I hadn't had in quite awhile! That evened out though. My fibro still clings to my life, but I do think all in all it's helped at least a little.

My main concern about it is if/when I decide to go off it. Being so similar to Effexor is why it concerns me. I tried Effexor once, and when I went off it it was absolutely horrifying. So was Paxil, but I finally got off that by titrating down with the liquid Paxil a miligram at a time for months!

This probably doesn't help you, but I do take Cymbalta, have for some time, and don't plan to go off it anytime soon. I've tried so many AD's, I'm running out of ones to try!

DM 05-15-2007 02:04 PM

Hi Doody! I am currently on Effexor XR *75mg* and was just wondering why you went off of it. I don't think it's really helping me alot.... just curious as if there's a better med, then I will talk to my rheumy at my next appt. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on this.....

I also take Tramadol (Ultram) for pain, but it really just takes the "edge" off of a bad day.... I hate letting FM take over....:mad:

nath 05-19-2007 11:12 AM

I'm on Cymbalta 60mg a day. Seems to have helped me deal with the neuropathic pain from fibro, after a couple of really rocky weeks. It's helped me get off Tramadol (yay!).

razzle51 05-19-2007 12:18 PM

Cymbalta

Oh my Goodness Cymbalta was horrible . I had all kinds of reactions. When my NS found out I had been on it he about hit the ceiling. He said he would never prescribe that to any of his patients. They are still working to get the bugs out of it so to speak . So , Be careful while you take it.

DM 05-19-2007 01:49 PM

Hi! Well, I just don't know what to do at this point.... I have been going to the Chiro, which helps at the time, but w/in a day or so, the neck, back, leg pain is back.. I hate the Tramadol as it's constipating for one thing.... And, it's just not helping alot.....

The Rheumatologist told me to move to Arizona..... I hate FM..... :Help:

shiney sue 05-19-2007 02:20 PM

Hi

I have Polyneuropaty's i had a bad hive reaction,that was me. But heard
it helps so many with of Diabectic PN. We are all different i hope it helps.
Because you and your body will know. Write or print out these posts if
your afraid take them to the one who gave you the perscription and tell
him-her of your concern.... Good luck Sue :hug: :hug:

Doody 06-25-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymay (Post 99893)
Hi Doody! I am currently on Effexor XR *75mg* and was just wondering why you went off of it. I don't think it's really helping me alot.... just curious as if there's a better med, then I will talk to my rheumy at my next appt. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on this.....

I also take Tramadol (Ultram) for pain, but it really just takes the "edge" off of a bad day.... I hate letting FM take over....:mad:

Hi Daisymay, I'm sorry I missed your question!!! It's been probably 6+ years with the Effexor experience, maybe more so it's difficult to remember. I just remember that when I went off it was a horrible experience...for me. I got really sick and big time dizzy.

The Cymbalta is working okay for me. I actually didn't have a major spring flare which most of us normally do. Come to think of it, I don't think I had a major flare in the fall either. I do think it helps with the fibro.

However...I dread the thought of ever going off of it since it is similar to Effexor. I'm just really 'touchy' when it comes to anything that resembles an SSRI. The only SSRI I could take was Paxil, and I took that for a long long time. When I went off it, it took me 3 months of titrating to make it.

I hope you're doing okay after all this time it took for me to respond!!! :hug:

Doody 06-25-2007 05:17 PM

Oh, and Tramadol doesn't do a darned thing for me. Plus, I have a really difficult time with any thing that resembles an nsaid. That kind of med really messes with my ulcerative colitis. I can tolerate simple ibuprofen. I take hydrocodone when the pain goes a little over the top.