NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   RSD and Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/160892-rsd-disability.html)

Rrae 11-17-2011 07:58 PM

RSD and Disability

Getting on disability is probably in my near future.
I'm wondering if it will be difficult to prove my case with my RSD in lower extremities. I live in a rural area and it seems NObody has a clue what RSD is.
The doctor who has been treating me since this all started (6yrs ago) is on the brink of retiring. Should I ask him for a reference letter now, even tho I'm not actively applying for SSDI (yet). Since he's been with me from the beginning and he knows everything about it, he's probably going to play an important role for stating my case.

Can anybody give me some pointers on what I need to be thinking about?
Very much appreciated.

Rae

LIT LOVE 11-17-2011 09:34 PM

Read the stickies, there is a good bit of important info that's covered. Get your doc to fill out an RFC form for you. The diagnosis is less important than many assume. The severity of your disability and how it impacts your ability to function is what you need to document. RSD is not one of the "listed impairments" but even having a diagnosis for one of them doesn't automatically mean approval as some assume. SS did a write up about RSD several years ago that you could provide to your case worker. I can't link at the moment--if you're unable to find it pm me for it.

About 1/3 of applicants are approved in the first stage. Do not take the process lightly... The rules have changed so that you can't start a 2nd application while in the appeals process--many of us took advantage of that--but it means tough choices have to be made if you aren't approved early on, now. You can end up with the long delays and no other recourse if you want to keep potential backpay. If you live in NY, NJ, CA, HI or RI, you'll have 1 year of state disability while waiting, which can make things easier.

I suggest getting a copy of the NOLO book on SSD.

honh 11-17-2011 11:27 PM

RSD and Disability

Hello,

This is my first post, and I'm intrigued by this statement: If you live in NY, NJ, CA, HI or RI, you'll have 1 year of state disability while waiting, which can make things easier.

I live in California but have not heard about getting one year of state disability while waiting for an SSDI hearing. Could you point me to more information? Thanks much.

honh

LIT LOVE 11-18-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honh (Post 825569)
Hello,

This is my first post, and I'm intrigued by this statement: If you live in NY, NJ, CA, HI or RI, you'll have 1 year of state disability while waiting, which can make things easier.

I live in California but have not heard about getting one year of state disability while waiting for an SSDI hearing. Could you point me to more information? Thanks much.

honh

It's a state funded short term disability insurance program for workers. Look in the Catch 22 sticky, post #22. It has nothing to do with SSDI--it's just an appropriate resource for those going through the SSD application process, that even when it's quick will take 4-6 months. Your doc just has to fill out a form confirming you're disability prevents you from working. ;) And for those with WC injuries, you should still apply even if you're currently collecting TTD--when those benefits stop, you can get 1 year of benefits later, IF you protect your rights in the short window of eligibility.

Rrae 11-18-2011 06:10 PM

Thanks LIT LOVE

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 825551)
Read the stickies, there is a good bit of important info that's covered. Get your doc to fill out an RFC form for you. The diagnosis is less important than many assume. The severity of your disability and how it impacts your ability to function is what you need to document. RSD is not one of the "listed impairments" but even having a diagnosis for one of them doesn't automatically mean approval as some assume. SS did a write up about RSD several years ago that you could provide to your case worker. I can't link at the moment--if you're unable to find it pm me for it.

About 1/3 of applicants are approved in the first stage. Do not take the process lightly... The rules have changed so that you can't start a 2nd application while in the appeals process--many of us took advantage of that--but it means tough choices have to be made if you aren't approved early on, now. You can end up with the long delays and no other recourse if you want to keep potential backpay. If you live in NY, NJ, CA, HI or RI, you'll have 1 year of state disability while waiting, which can make things easier.

Thank you very much for these pointers! Can you ellaborate a bit regarding tough choices that have to be made if not approved early on? I'm trying to mentally work up a 'battle plan' and these would be good things to be aware of.

Also, what does NOLO stand for :o

It's good to hear that there has been a write-up about RSD. I'll probably be pestering you if I'm unable to find it via search

The Sticky's are packed full of great info!

Thanks again,
Rae

LIT LOVE 11-18-2011 06:36 PM

Look at the Loophole thread I bumped for you. ;)

NOLO is the publisher.

Rrae 11-26-2011 07:19 PM

Quick Question LIT LOVE

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 825551)
Read the stickies, there is a good bit of important info that's covered. Get your doc to fill out an RFC form for you.

I'm getting ready to visit with my Dr.
What does RFC stand for?
I'm interested in having him fill this out.

Thanks
Rae

LIT LOVE 11-30-2011 01:44 PM

Please see post #43 in the "before you start..." sticky. ;)

Residual Functional Capacity.