NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   DMSO question. What can I dilute DMSO with so that my skin won't get irritated? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/161273-dmso-question-dilute-dmso-skin-wont-irritated.html)

janejane 11-27-2011 12:05 AM

DMSO question. What can I dilute DMSO with so that my skin won't get irritated?

Hi!!!

I am trying to use DMSO but it burns my skin... It is 50% DMSO mixed with water I think... My doctor ordered it for me. It is completely liquid. I read somewhere that once can use oils. But which could I use? I know DMSO can be dangerous if mixed with the wrong thing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I really want to try DMSO and use it regularly but as it is, it irritates my skin too much.

Thank you very much!

Dr. Smith 11-27-2011 12:32 AM

DMSO may be diluted with distilled water.

Google: diluting dmso

Doc

Jerie 11-28-2011 12:53 AM

Jane,
Did your Dr order the industrial type? I use a 70% dsmo cream. I ordered on line and it doesn't do that to me. DSMO is not authorized to be sold in the US except as a slovent, so I wonder why your Dr would order it for you. Go to Amazon.com and order the DSMO cream or gel. I use the rose scented to mask the solvent smell. I have been told specifically not to use the industrial grade, it has many impurities that can be absorbed through your skin.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ose+&x=17&y=21

Jomar 11-28-2011 01:44 AM

Make sure skin is very clean and there's no lotions, soap residue, nothing on it.
The DMSO could carry whatever is on your skin into the body.

Make sure to read online about all care & cautions before using it.

betsykk 11-28-2011 05:58 AM

a lot of people use olive oil.

janejane 11-29-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks for your replies! I faxed the Dutch research to my doctor and he put an order of Dmso 50% with a compounding pharmacist. I am so excited at how good it is for RSD but still get awful irritation on the skin. I have diluted it at 10 % Dmso with water and it burns after a few applications. The same with vegetable glycerine... I assume it is pharmaceutical grade as I got it from a pharmcy.

I will try the Amazon cream. Thanks for the suggestion Jerie. And I will make sure to clean my skin. Thanks Jo Mar. And will try Olivie oil. Thanks for the suggestion Betsy.

Can I use any oil like Coconut oil, or almond oil?

Thanks!

Dr. Smith 11-29-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janejane (Post 828420)
Can I use any oil like Coconut oil, or almond oil?

I don't know about the safety of various solvents - only that whatever you mix with DMSO, depending on the size of its molecules, will be absorbed into/through your skin and hence be introduced into your system (cuz that's what DMSO does).

Doc

janejane 11-30-2011 10:11 AM

Thanks Doc

janejane 12-20-2011 10:23 AM

I've using olive oil to dilute the DMSO for weeks no and it works great without irritating my skin. Thank you so much for your advice!

Toby39 12-29-2014 02:51 PM

What to mix with DMSO, for Cauda Equina Syndrome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 828426)
I don't know about the safety of various solvents - only that whatever you mix with DMSO, depending on the size of its molecules, will be absorbed into/through your skin and hence be introduced into your system (cuz that's what DMSO does).

Doc

I have just mixed up some DMSO for a friend... 70% DMSO and 30% Olive Oil.

Unfortunately she has recently been diagnosed with Cauda Equina Syndrome after undergoing spinal surgery on her lower back. She cannot feel the outside of (most of) her left leg, and 'saddle area'. :(

She suffers from neurological pain, along with loss of sensation (and control) of various body functions. :(

--> I am therefore trying to find out what the best substance to mix with DMSO would be, for her condition... ? (Aloe Vera, Arnica, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you :)